Processing times for salsa?

jennieboyer(8)June 21, 2013

Hi - I made some salsa today from Ball salsa mix - only requires tomatoes, vinegar, and the sauce. The processing time for pints is 35 minutes. Why is it so high compared to something like Annie's salsa?

I checked my Mrs. Wages mix, and it requires 40 minutes! Both of them are BWB times. I did it for the time it said, but am curious about why so much time is required!

Thanks!

Jennie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You really can't compare processing times from different recipes. Just as you can't generalize, use the processing time required for one recipe and apply it to other recipes. Doing so can be quite dangerous in canning.

Different amounts of low acid ingredients plus different amounts of vinegar etc. all mean different pH and different density. The lower the pH, more low acid the ingredients or the greater the density, the longer the processing time required.

Dave

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 12:21PM
myfamilysfarm

After canning for decades, I found that if there is 2 times just a few minutes apart, I'll error on the longer side. Better to be safe than sorry.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 2:15PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Is this a hot or raw pack?
Annie's is hot when you put in in the jar.
I haven't used the mixes, but if they are raw (cold), they would need extra time to heat to the middle of the jar appropriately.

Deanna

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™