Approved recipes

tracikJune 20, 2014

Is there any other sites to get approved canning recipes from? I have the ball book and I know about the National center for home food preservation.

Thank!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancedar(z7NC)

I use a lot of recipes from the Bernardin website - it's the Ball equivalent in Canada (click on the Link)
I also heartily endorse the "Joy of Pickling" and the "Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves" by Linda Ziedrich - she's beyond being just a Master in my opinion.
"So Easy to Preserve, Revised" is a good reference book with a lot of repeats of the Ball Blue Book and is blessed by the USDA aka NCHFP.
Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernardin Home Canning Website

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 6:12PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Lots of discussions here about the good books to have (and the bad ones to avoid). Type 'books' in the search.

Otherwise online it is Ball's website freshpreserving.com, NCHFP, the Bernardin website Nance mentioned. Others need vetting of each individual recipe. And here - lots of recipes posted here the search pulls up by food.

Depends on what foods you are primarily interested in.

Dave

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 7:39PM
tracik

Thanks y'all!! I will see if my library has those books! And I book marked that Bernardin site.

I have made a couple of things out of the ball book that I didn't really care for. I guess its mostly going to be trial and error. I just hate wasting! As I make the stuff I mark on the book if I like it or not.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:20AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

The books tend to have a focus like pickling, jams/jellies, tomatoes, condiments, etc.

So what is your primary focus? What foods are you working with? Your garden food or things you are buying?

Plus you can always ask here if someone has trade a particular recipe and what they thought of it.

Dave

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 9:13AM
tracik

I am buying some stuff and I have a small garden. I'm growing tomatoes, squash, banana peppers, bell peppers and I planted some cantaloupe but so far none have developed. Lots of blooms but no fruit.

I am just looking for some different recipes from what I have seen. I might see a recipe that sounds good and want to try it.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 1:55PM
gardengalrn(5KS)

I just go by Ball's, Joy of Pickling and several others recommended here. I love to can but am not at all an expert and come here often for advice. Personally, I listen to what the experts say here and would probably not on other sites. They are very particular about safety and usually point that out (sometimes to the irk of the poster, LOL), if a recipe doesn't seem safe. I have appreciated that through the years and trust them. There is no sense (to me) to put up a product that you have to wonder about, esp when you have little ones around. The Ball Blue Book is a very good place to start, gives basic instruction on tomatoes and other produce and how to can. Good luck with your garden, happy planting and canning!

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™