wisdom

inkognitoJanuary 20, 2010

I thought this was rather good: Knowledge tells us that tomato is a fruit. Wisdom tells us not to put tomato in fruit salad.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent(Central Maine)

Great illustration!

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 7:28PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Wow! all this time I done wrong!

What about a Hubbard Squash? That's a fruit.

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 6:20PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

The hunger for facile wisdom is the root of all false philosophy.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 3:49PM
inkognito

For an aphorism to work it has to make sense, that was an aphorism kwoods. Yours needs some work.

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 4:26PM

Actually, it does make sense. In fact, I'd be willing to bet it's behind alot (not all) of the arguing that goes on over on the other side.

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 10:36AM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Take it up with Santayana Inky.

I happen to agree with him, especially when referring to recipes for tomato salad.

Bookmark   February 4, 2010 at 3:58PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

KW, I prefer your aphorism over the OP. Not being contrary here but I've eaten fruit salads out of the can without tomatoes but have eaten salads with both fruit and tomatoes: tomatoes, cukes, zucchini, mandarin with young mizuna and raspberry vinaigrette.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 9:40AM
inkognito

I've eaten a peanut butter and jam sandwich from time to time but it wasn't my hunger for facile wisdom that made me do it, I knew that it would be good even though such judgments are the root of false philosophy.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 12:01PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Ink, eating pbj sandwich is not seeking wisdom, facile or not.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 2:27PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

In certain instances eating a pbj would be wise as well as facile. Not sure enjoying pbjs qualifies as a philosophy false or otherwise but perhaps it does.

What's wisdom? Is it not a philosophy, a knowledge of truth or justice derived through past experience or learning? Wisdom is hard won, it is the grind, been there done that, not something you come by easily facilitated by catchy sayings.

The only way I would know if a tomato doesn't ever belong in a fruit salad is if I've experienced every iteration of tomato inclusive fruit salad. Can I otherwise eliminate the possibility of a delicious melon, mint and tomato drizzled w/ extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sea salt combination? Therefore I posit that the notion of tomato exclusive fruit salad amounts to false philosophy.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 3:28PM
inkognito

Oh well. The quoted aphorism was meant to demonstrate the difference between knowledge and wisdom and the superiority of wisdom. I understand that you think a fruit salad CAN have tomatoes in it and that a regular salad CAN have fruit in it but this does not alter the truth of the aphorism. Unless of course you also disagree that there is a difference between knowledge and wisdom. I agree that this is a facile example (don't ALL aphorisms fall into this category?) but it was not intended as a treatise or as a philosophical absolute (if such a thing exists) it was certainly not presented as a law.

As for yours, do you think anyone hungers for "facile wisdom", it being an oxymoron by your own definition, i.e. "Wisdom is hard won". I don't think I understand what a "false philosophy" is perhaps it is presenting some loosely connected words as wisdom.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 5:39PM

Man you guys will argue over ANYTHING!! LOL

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 7:13PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Are you accusing someone of ANYTHING?

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 2:10PM
inkognito

Yeah Bill, don't you have ANYTHING to say about ANYTHING or are you just arguing about NOTHING? Bet your team lost too.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 3:17PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

"Man you guys will argue over ANYTHING!"

That's just not true! I would never argue over anything, well maybe not never but rarely if ever. I'm far more likely to argue over nothing.

"do you think anyone hungers for "facile wisdom", it being an oxymoron"

Yes, I do. People want to deceive themselves into believing they're wise or can attain wisdom without having to do the work. Selling shortcuts to wisdom, happens all the time organized religion being the most obvious example.

Being a pragmatic absurdist it's my belief that people hunger for oxymorons more than they do most things.

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 3:20PM

Well, then, they've come to the right forum!! Oxymorons along with alot of OTHER kinds, too!!

:-)

(on BOTH sides!)

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Bill O'Reilly's ongoing lie
Bill O'Reilly Has His Own Brian Williams Problem "*...
momj47
Signature salute to Leonard Nimoy
Dead at 83; cause given as end stage COPD. Though not...
duluthinbloomz4
Duck Dynasty and Free Speech Award
CPAC is a clown show.I was watching TV today and while...
Pidge
A Cultural Cleansing
ISIS torched Mosul's library. "...books represent...
duluthinbloomz4
What goes around ...
.....comes around "It wasn't supposed to be like...
ohiomom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™