Herbs and Veggie Garden

moonwolf_gwJune 4, 2010

Hi everyone,

Here are my herbs and vegetables in this year's garden. They are arranged from left to right.

Tomatoes and Basil (We always grow these types of tomatoes(Left to right: Sweet 100 and Early Girl). I grew basil before and it always did well.)

Bush Beans (First time growing these. They are Cherokee Wax and Pawnee Shell)

Chamomile, Boston Pickler Cucumber and Lemon Verbena (First time for the last two and chamomile is from reseeding. I put dill seeds beside the cucumber.)

Tarragon and Lemon Balm (I grew LB last year in a pot and it didn't come up so I got it again. First year for tarragon.)

Lavender 'Hidecote' with Sweet Alyssum (Transplanted this year. It's three years old.)

Lavender 'Munstead' (Transplanted this year, bought last year)

Spearmint (new this year)

Chamomile (reseeded from last year)

Bee Balm (two years old)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Thanks for sharing!

Since you have limited space, next year you may wish to try some pole beans instead of bush beans since they are very productive for a very small footprint in the garden. Give them a tall pole or two to grow on and they are happy. Except for "Dragon Tongue" and "Jade," all my favorite bean varieties are pole. There are many terrific heirloom varieties. Baker Creek and Seed Savers are some of my favorite places for heirloom seeds.

You may wish to get support for your tomatoes. It will keep them from sprawling into your lawn where you want to mow.

Gardening is fun and when you are talking herbs and veggies, so tasty and healthy too!

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 1:53PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

I like your containers and ornaments! They are lovely.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 6:43PM
txlady-2010

Really enjoyed the pics of your garden items. I'm new to this and have question about when to harvest dill. I'm ready to can pickles and my dill is at the (I guess bloom stage); it's yellow and isn't dried. Can I use those dill heads like that to put in my jars or do I have to wait and use the dried seeds? I have canned forever, but haven't grown my own dill and don't know about this. Thanks for any help.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 12:18AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

A long-time, regular poster (ksrogers) that used to be here commented often about canning and using dill. If you browse some of the back posts linked below, I'm sure you will find plenty of information.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbs Forum

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 8:09AM
txlady-2010

thanks so much I will ck them out. txlady-2010

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 10:18AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Also have a look over on the Harvest Forum - that's where the canning addicts live.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 7:08AM
More Discussions
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™