First-time gardener attempting to grow herbs on my patio!

prettydarkeyesJune 12, 2013

I have no plants in my home due to kitty, and no green thumb!

I planted seeds for basil, parsley and mint, and have seedlings that are now 2" high.

I know they need to be transplanted but what size pot, how much soil?

I have some dill seeds which I'd like to plant, do I need to put in a small container first until it grows to seedling size (2") or can I just plant it in a full-size pot?

Thanks for all and any responses!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

What zone are you in? In mine, I'd transplant directly to the final destination and protect them for a couple of days. All of these can also be direct seeded as well. I grow them in 5-7 gallon pots, for a number of reasons. You can just as easily grow them in smaller containers as long as you water and repot each year.

jan

This post was edited by jll0306 on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:39

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:32AM
prettydarkeyes

Thank you! I don't know what zone I'm in (probably the Twilight Zone) but I do live in a suburb of NYC.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:43AM
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

My true USDA hardiness zone/growing zone is 8a. (I was suffering ZDD Zone Denial Disorder when I created my profile). This means i am transplant safe for 5 months, as we are far past my potential last frost date. You probably are, too, but a google search will tell you for sure.

But fresh transplants need also need to be protected from direct sun for a day or so.

Jan

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 9:43AM
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

Another thing to consider when patio growing is the 'heat sink' effect--how much extra hot may be coming from all the concrete, brick, etc?

I have a townhome with a small enclosed backyard. The homes are brick, and I can get away with planting my basil a month earlier in containers next to the brick wall than I can out in my garden area. But, then, I have to move them when the heat sets in.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™