Harvesting Black-Eyed Peas

organic_homesteaderJune 22, 2008

I use a lot of the dried black-eyed peas from the supermarket, I think they are my favorite food. I would like to grow them in my garden, but I don't know the best way to harvest and store them.

How do they get from being fresh peas on the bush to dried peas? Is the taste similar to dried peas when you cook the fresh ones? Would it be easier to just can the peas when they are fresh?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
belindach(9A)

I shell the peas and lay them out in a tray until they are dry. Then I'll put them in the freezer for a few hours to kill any bugs and seal in a jar. Much easier than canning.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 6:39PM
basil77(9)

If you have the freezer room and want to try them fresh, try blanching and freezing them. Growing up, I only ate them fresh. Now that I have tried fresh & dried, I like them both ways. They taste a bit different - I think the fresh is the best. To harvest them fresh, you want to let the pods fill out before you pick them. If you want snaps, pick some when they are real young and thin. After shelling them, blanch them, and then put in quart freezer bags and freeze. Around here, most folks like to grow them in the fall since there doesn't seem to be as many bugs. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 6:57PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

We prefer ours dried. We just let them dry on the vine. Thresh them out of the shells in a bag and store in sealed jars. They keep for a year with no problems and have plenty to replant the following year. Do the same with crowders and pink-eye purple hulls.

Dave

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™