Can you root basil

fert1(7 SC)June 23, 2006

Can you root basil? The reason I ask is that I got poor germination rates on some the basil varieties I planted. I just wondered if I could take rootings from the few that did grow to propogate more. would that work at all?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gborosteve

I had success in rooting Greek Columnar Basil. By accident. I had some cut and in the house, resting in a jar of water. After a few days, roots began to appear. I took the sprigs out, dipped them in root hormone and planted them in a pot, for indoors. At first the plant went limp, but with sunlight, and very little watering, it came back to life and is doing very well.
I don't know about other types of basil, but I would say yes to the Greek Columnar.
Anyone else have this basil? It's a beautiful plant. Deep, bright green, leafs with tall stalks. Fragrance...sweet, lemony. A wonderful basil. I love it.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 2:59PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Yes, it's very easy. Just take cuttings, either tip cuttings or heel cuttings (which I find the best), dip the cut ends in honey, stick them into the dirt, and stand back and watch them grow. Easy as pie.

Some months back we had a terrific storm which tore my favourite basil to pieces, broke off large branches. I just stuck a few of the broken bits in the ground (no trimming, no honey, and some quite large), and now my son has a nice row of basil in his garden!

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 5:51PM
fert1(7 SC)

Thanks! I will try it then. What does the honey do?

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 11:53PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Honey is antibacterial, and it acts in the same way as a rooting hormone gel or powder. Protects the cut end of the stem, and encourages root formation. With basil, it isn't really needed, but might hurry things along a bit.

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 6:07PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

I like the sound of this Greek Columnar Basil, Steve. Do you know if it has another name?

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 9:09PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Will root pretty fast in water too, but it should be planted as soon as it has no more than 1.5 inches of root so the roots are not all 'water-roots'.
I've also had great luck taking cuttings and rooting in straight moistened perlite within 7 days. Each cutting had just 1 set of leaves (basically tip cuttings)...in my opinion he smaller the cutting the easier; less evaporation from the leaves while rooting.

Vera

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 9:29PM
takadi(7)

Ahh, I am having horrible success with the basil in tap water technique. It's been about two weeks and so far three cuttings have totally died, and I had to repeatedly snip off the ends of some that were rotting and eventually throw a couple away since they were getting too short. One of them did bust out with loads of roots, but then all of a sudden the root cluster just turned brown and mushy and I had to cut off the end again.

I'm taking two more different approaches now, one cutting with straight perlite, another cutting in the normal water, and another two of those in plastic clear bags. I'm gonna see what happens, but I'm honestly surprised at how difficult this is

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 1:13AM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Water may have chlorine or too much iron or be very hard with minerals. I have been successful in rooting some basil stems by just planting in muddy soil in a pot. Same with some branches broken off tomato plants. Growing basil from seeds is more reliable.

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 5:16PM
takadi(7)

Oh my god, the bag method worked like a miracle. It's only been two days and it has grown a quarter inch of roots!

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 12:51PM
spicydeedee

Interesting - please describe exactly how you use the "BAG METHOD" as I would love to try it - Thanks!

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 7:30PM
takadi(7)

Well it's pretty much like making a mini green-house. I stick the basil cuttings in water then stick a plastic bag over it and secure it with a rubber band...then leave it in a place with bright indirect light (indirect light is important). Warmth and humidity seem to be the most important in rooting, and I was having a difficult time since I was doing this in early February when the air was still dry

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 2:51AM
More Discussions
Wanted: Herb seeds for SASE
Hello. I am trying to do a project with my daughters...
Brenda Lee
Unidentified Herb, Maybe Mint??
Moved into a new home over the winter. Within the...
Trinacria
Sage Recommendations?
hey everyone Just wondering if you can recommend the...
2bcleansed
plants in cat litter bags?
I've seen pics of plants growing in reusable shopping...
mystmaiden
HELP!!! My mint plant is growing SMALLER!!!
Just over a week ago, I purchased a potted mint plant...
James Lim
Sponsored Products
Vinotemp 4-Bottle Wine Dispenser
FRONTGATE
Wood Creations Amber Finish Personalized Toy Box-Multiple Calligraphy Options Mu
$295.00 | Hayneedle
10 inch King Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Sarah Tan 6 ft. Round
Home Depot
Hyland Loveseat - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Philadelphia Phillies Mini Can Cooler
$27.99 | zulily
Sarah Peyton Convection Cooled 10-inch Twin-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Illumine Lamps 23 in. Black and Chrome Table Lamp CLI-LS448976