Help ID'ing HErb

sunnyk(Z6 SW Coastal CT)June 26, 2009

I recieved some seeds in a trade that were labeled as Mint 'Lemon'....after growing them out I am not so sure that they are what the label said they are. They have the same growth habit as a mint ie. square stem ...but the aroma and taste is more like a spicy oregano(with a tiny after tingle that has me a little concerned). I am hoping someone can help me figure out what I have (no member name on the original package and I can't for the life of me remember who sent it so I can't track it down that way LOL)

Thanks for any help!

Donna :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Monarda citriodora is sometimes called "lemon mint" as well as a whole host of other names: Lemon beebalm, Horsemint, Purple horsemint, Plains horsemint, Lemon horsemint. It's a possibility. Compare and see what you think.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 3:53PM
sunnyk(Z6 SW Coastal CT)

Boy afgter googling that 'Monarda citriodora', it sure looks like what I have, but every site mentions the foliage smelling strongly of citrus when crushed....and mine smells just like a fine oregano LOL....maybe I have something new going on here!! Thanks for id'ing it for me :)

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 4:20PM
francescod(6b/7a VA)

Monarda citriodora has a couple of subspecies. M. citriodora subsp. citriodora has more of lemon/citrus aroma. M. citriodora subsp. austromontana, native to the southwest and western Mexico is sometimes called oregano and is used as a substitute for oregano or thyme. Both subspecies are high in thymol. M. fistulosa is also a good oregano substitute- it has a very spicy oregano flavor.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Anyone here who grows Nepeta?
I want to grow Nepeta but not Nepeta Cataria (catnip)....
cooperdr_gw
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™