Can't figure out what's eating basil?!

futurevegJune 2, 2009

Hi everyone, I'm basically new to gardening and plants. Recently decided to try and grow some herbs for culinary use.

Anyway, I have 2 sweet basils and 1 lettuce lettuce leaf basil that are both being slowly eaten by something.

The plants are primarily indoor, but I have taken them out on the porch occasionally for about 3-4 hour periods.

The soil is 1:1 ratio of potting soil and perlite with some sphagnum moss mixed in. Fertilized once with Garden Club organic all purpose plant food.

I tried spraying them with garlic spray, which had no effect on whatever is eating it. I don't know what I should do next.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xenka

Is it possible that it's a cat? Or a rabbit or some other type of fluffy critter? I realize that sounds silly, because I'm sure you would have noticed if there were animals near your plants. But my cats like to sample my herbs every now and then and this is similar to the bites that they make so I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 6:57PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Not much damage right now, I wouldn't worry. Yes, it could be from domestic animals. Right now, I see gypsy moth caterpillers here and will have to start putting out some traps soon. The oak trees around here seem to get major infestations about every 5-7 years. Every single one I see I sqush. I just hope that my garden vegetable plants don't become infested. If so, the Bt would help some, but I would probably try Neem first, if it has control over them. I will wait and see

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 1:53AM
ediej1209(5 N Central OH)

Something is eating mine, too. Just the Sweet Basil. None of my other herbs are even being touched. What's up with that?!? I sincerely doubt it's the cats, they don't go into the herb garden much, but I haven't seen any bugs, either. I don't want to put anything on it, so I'm going to unpot some marigolds out of one of my planters and plant around the basil to see if that helps any.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™