Stevia

shane11June 4, 2013

I just had to share this though it may be old hat to some. The other day I tried eating a stevia leaf along with a peppermint leaf at the same time and was blown away at how good this was. The idea came from a website or a book, I dont remember exactly. Of course now I have tried stevia leaves leaves of spearmint, lemon balm, lemon and cinnamon basil to name a few. The possibilities are endless. This is as good a candy as you could imagine! And so simple. The only problem is I find myself doing this everytime I walk into my garden so my lone stevia is having a hard time keeping up with production - LOL. I will have to plant much more next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Enjoy it. As far as it has been established, Stevia has no side effects and has many health benefits.

It is mostly used for sugar substitute. I have grown it in the past 3, 4 years at small quantity. It is probably perennial in zone 7. It was in zone 7b, GA.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:56AM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

sounds awesome!

I have chocolate mint and just got a stevia, will transplant and give it a few days before I take any leaves....

very looking forward to trying this!

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 9:08AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Although you can pick a few leaves now and then, but to have the power of sweetness , the harvest time is when it flowers. Then you harvest and dry it. Againg, you can use it at any stage but it will not be at the peak of its sweetness.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:02AM
More Discussions
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™