Cukes, Cukes, and more Cukes

uaskigyrl(7)June 8, 2011

Hello All!

I've come into an abundance of cucumbers (not pickling cucumbers). I was wondering if it was ok to pickle regular sliced cucumbers? All the recipes that I've come across call for pickling cucumbers and I understand that you don't want air pockets in any vegetables that you are pickling because of bacteria growth. However, if I'm slicing these cucumbers, the risk of air pockets should be greatly reduced.

As always thanks for your thoughts,

uaskigyrl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You can use them and it is worth a try to see if they are acceptable to you. Some like them, some don't. Using slicer cukes for pickles isn't a safety issue, assuming you use a safe recipe, it is a quality issue.

Slicing cucumbers make much softer, mushier pickles because of all the extra water they contain. The smaller the pieces you use the softer the pickles. So using them in chunks or spears may give you better results than slices. They can also be more bitter if they are large with a large seed cavity. So coring them may help too.

"Air pockets"? Not sure what you mean by that unless you are referring to air pockets in the jars?

Many of us prefer to use the abundance of slicing cukes we get to make relishes rather than pickles. That way there is no mushy issues.

Check out the many other pickle discussions here for more ideas and more details on why many of us feel slicing cukes don't make good pickles.

Dave

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
Best way to process frozen unpeeled tomatoes?
I've got about 50 lbs of frozen tomatoes (packed in...
2ajsmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™