stupid question about dill bouquet

ikea_gwJune 24, 2011

I have some dill in my garden and my friend is making half sour pickles. So I told him I'd give him some dill bouquet but now I realized I don't know when to actually pick the dill. All I know is they are blooming right now. Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

A dill bouquet is usually 1 flowering head plus 3-4 stems of dill leaves. It all depends on what the recipe calls for. Some call for 2-3 heads, some for no heads just stems of leaves, etc.

Or if the recipe calls for dill seeds then you wait until the bloom head dries and turns to seeds.

Dave

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 10:39PM
david52 Zone 6

Slightly related and not worth a new thread...... With the propensity of dill to go to seed far sooner than the vegetables are ready to pickle, I found out last year that it is rather easy to take a bucket, walk around to the dill plants that have gone to seed and brush the seeds off into the bucket, then later putting them into an open container to 'air out' and dry completely. Repeating this over the early summer now and again results in several quarts of dill seed when the pickling onslaught begins.

But I bet everybody knew that already.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 4:19PM
2ajsmama

I haven't sown my dill (or cilantro) yet, didn't want it (them) bolting/going to seed b4 the cukes (tomatoes) were ripe. I just started my cukes 6/10, just getting first true leaves now, tomatoes are just starting to blossom (some of them), when would be a good time to start the herbs? Packages don't have DTM. Thanks

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 6:31AM
denninmi(8a)

Several quarts of dill seeds? That will make a LOT of pickles.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 10:42AM
denninmi(8a)

I haven't done this, but since someone mentioned that dill is always ready before the cucumbers, couldn't you just put up a couple of quart jars of dill packed in the same brine you will ultimately use for the pickles, and then open those up and distribute the dill into the pickle jars at canning time -- should work, I think. I might try it -- my dill is beginning to bloom, but my cucumber vines are only a foot long now.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 10:47AM
david52 Zone 6

"Several quarts of dill seeds? That will make a LOT of pickles. "

It sure does :-). In my garden, the one weed that causes the most problems is dill - thousands of the things pop up everywhere. In a couple of days of hot weather, the little fellas seem to grow a couple of feet, and suddenly, its not just a few cute little plants but a forest. Yesterday I must have cut down half a bushel of green dill which was shading the other plants. Plenty more to supply seeds.

My cucumbers and beans are just starting to vine, so I'm 5-6 weeks away from pickling.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
You can't just tell me I can't use half gallon jars....
..... for canning anything but juice, and that I can't...
farmerboybill
storing leeks
This has been our second year vegetable gardening....
marricgardens
Current Botulism cases
The Oregon State Public Health Lab has confirmed that...
Linda_Lou
Freezing Orange Juice
Has anyone successfully frozen orange juice? When I...
sautesmom
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
Sponsored Products
Paula Deen Home Mikes Dining Side Chair - Linen - Set of 2 - UNIR1318
$600.00 | Hayneedle
Cupa Vino Ice Wine Glasses
Classic Hostess
Hickory Manor House Arched Wreath Top Mirror - 24W x 42H in. - 4736VA
$273.34 | Hayneedle
Euro Style Sherwood 5 Piece Dining Set with Cafe Aluminum Chairs - EUS1850
Hayneedle
Designers Edge 0691 16/3-Gauge 75-Watt Incandescent Trouble Light with Grounded
$24.99 | Hayneedle