Hosta recommedations - help needed....

trb4903August 14, 2007

We recently dug up some ugly yews in front of out house, and discovered some beautiful stonework. The area is large (about 6' by 30') and surrounds a very shaded wrap around porch. I'm thinking about planting some larger hostas in back - maybe a staggered double layer - and then smaller hostas in front. Since I am using the hostas as a replacement for the row of bushes we removed I sort of want to use the same hostas everywhere. I like the hosta Royal Standard because of the white flowers, but can't come up with a smaller hosta to put in front of it. Any and all suggestions are welcome - including a background hosta other than Royal Standard.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ademink(z5a-5b Indianapolis)

What a great find! Is the house old? I love treasures like that! :)

If you want the same hosta everywhere, you would be doing well w/ Royal Standard. They are full, lush, TOUGH, can handle some sun, lightly fragrant, grow quickly, upright habit and are readily (and cheaply) available! I think that is an excellent choice.

As for a smaller one in the front, what color are you thinking?

If blue, you could do something like Blue Cadet. Gold - there are many choices....Sunny Disposition, Maui Buttercups, Gold Edger, etc, etc...

For a variegated that would blend well w/ the RS, what about something like Golden Tiara? Small, but not too small, dependable and eyecatching yet subtle.

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 8:52AM
Teresa_MN

"We recently dug up some ugly yews in front of out house

Now there is a typo that gave me a chuckle.

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 11:10AM
Janice

Hmmmmm-Teresa---I'll resist the *graphic* on that one! LOL

But---it IS tempting!!!

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 1:42PM
toymr2mk2(SE VA z7b/8a)

How about good ole plantaginea as an alternative to RS. A similar look to RS with huge fragrant white flowers late in the hosta bloom season. I think it would be awesome to sit out on the porch and smell the plantaginea blooming all around me...Art

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
houzz search
We can no longer search under specific forums? Forgive...
smorz
Always trying something new !
Well, if all your prime planting spots are full.. You...
leafwatcher
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™