Pickled tomatoes

tracikJune 19, 2014

Are there any other approved recipes beside the ball book and the National center for home food?

I am looking for a recipe for pickled tomatoes. Like the kind you can buy if you are lucky to find them. We love to eat those with fried fish.

Last year I tried the recipe from ball book dilled green tomatoes page 54 and they are so dilly and vinegary I ended up throwing all of them out. What a waste!! I am wanting something that would be similar to this recipe. I don't want sweet or spiced or cabbage in it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garden_fool(zone 9 TX)

I found a place where you can get four different recipes so you can pick the one you want or mix them. www.gardenbetty.com\2011\08\four-ways-to-pickled-green-tomatoes

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 3:44PM
tracik

Thanks so much! I will check it out.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 4:17PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Checked out those recipes and they meet the minimum safe requirements for use. A bit more vinegar than water would be better as the 1:1 is the minimum. But since they are green tomatoes and are a bit more acidic it is safe.

It can be difficult to try to match store-bought brand flavors with anything but if you have a particular brand name in mind someone here can usually come up with a close recipe.

But if you don't want spiced or sweet what dominant flavor are you after? Look at all the other Vegetable Pickle recipes at NCHFP for ideas as green tomatoes can often be substituted for the vegetable in those recipes too.

Dave

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 8:36PM
tracik

LOL Dave, I don't know!! I guess more dilled? By spiced I mean cinnamon, nutmeg etc.

I will look at some of those recipes. Thanks for the idea!

I still have LOTS to learn!

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:10AM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Adding a tiny bit of sugar can decrease the tang of the vinegar too. Not enough to make them sweet, but just to offset the vinegar and "green-ness" of the tomatoes.
No safety issues with adding a little sugar.

Deanna

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
Best way to process frozen unpeeled tomatoes?
I've got about 50 lbs of frozen tomatoes (packed in...
2ajsmama
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™