Rejuvenate an old canner hint!

wertach zone 7-B SCJune 15, 2012

I have one canner that holds 5 quarts that I've been using for years. I have so many beans and things to can this year. I decided to dig out my old canner that holds 9 or 10, I can't remember. It is at least 25 years old, Presto brand.

It has been in my storage building for at least 10 years. I haven't needed it. With our drought I haven't had so much stuff at one time.

First thing.... the lid wouldn't come off. I got a bright idea, I put it in the dishwasher after removing the top rack, since it wouldn't fit.

After the cycle, the lid came off with a lot of muscle. I put it back in with the gasket separated so that it would get clean and ran another cycle.

Everything looked good, so time for a test run. The gasket wouldn't seal. I called the local places that sell canners and parts, no luck. Went online and found one, ordered it. Then I got an estimated delivery time of 2 weeks!

Another brain storm.... I put a pot of water on and brought it to a boil, removed it from the burner and put the gasket in with a lid for an hour or so.

I did another test run and it sealed! I will be canning in it tonight!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bcskye

Where there's a will, there's a way! Really, I'm so glad you got it all working and didn't give up on it like some people would have. I can just see your smile of satisfaction from here. Happy canning!

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 4:39PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I'm way past bedtime and on my 3rd. batch! Life is good when you are doing things like this!

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 10:33PM
txtom50(8a texas)

If you need a manual for your canner, here's a link where you can download the Presto manual in pdf format. Just need the model number.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instruction Manual Download

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 7:05AM
wertach zone 7-B SC

Thanks TX but mine isn't listed there. It is a 0171003 and holds 7 quarts, not 9 or 10 like I thought. LOL I think the 01745 is the same though.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 9:43AM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Is it a weighted or dial gauge?
If a dial, you really should have the gauge tested each year. Just getting bumped around can cause them to be knocked out of calibration.
You want to make sure you're really processing at the correct pressure.
Most extension offices offer the testing for free.

If it's a weighted one, no worries!

Getting that lid off is determination if I've ever seen it!
Good job!

Deanna

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 11:06AM
wertach zone 7-B SC

It's a weighted one,no worries!:)

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™