Basil trouble

andrewz5aJune 16, 2010

I'm having trouble with some basil I transplanted two weeks ago, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas about what could be wrong.

The plants were transplanted from apparently healthy seedlings. Since then, they have gotten plenty of water and sunlight, and other things in the garden are doing pretty well. But the basil has grown only a little since then, the stalks are bent a few inches above the ground, the leaves are yellowing to pale green with coppery patches, and the plants are just starting to flower. A week ago I gave them a foliar spray of 3-2-2, but it hasn't had any effect that I can tell.

I know that the soil has somewhat too much potassium, too little magnesium, and possibly too little calcium too. Also, I may have damaged the roots during transplanting. Finally, FWIW, the basil is planted between sunflowers (still tiny, so no shade issue) and broccoli.

I've just been looking at lists of nutrient deficiency/excess symptoms but haven't found anything very specific. Does anyone know if the symptom list is specific to any of the factors I mentioned? Any other ideas on cause and what to do about it?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sconnielill

I don't think the issue is what you've planted it with.

Were the roots compacted? Did you spread them out a bit before planting? My only guess is that it's not getting enough water, possibly because of being rootbound.

I think if you over-fertilized you'd see burn marks on the leaves without the paling first. Generally though, herbs like to live in horrible soil.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 8:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

What have the prevailing temperatures been? Basil needs consistent warmth, day & night.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 1:53AM
More Discussions
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™