Potato plants

chartim(7A)June 3, 2011

What is the best plant indicator that your potatoes are ready to dig? I have Red Pontiac 80 to 100 days.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

If you check over on the Vegetable Gardening forum your find several discussions about this if you want more info.

That said, potatoes are ready to be dug 6-10 days after the tops die off. The plants will turn brown, fall over, and die. Wait a few days (unless heavy rains are forecast as you don't want them to rot in the ground) and then dig them up. Allow them to dry well out of the direct sun for several days before washing and storing them.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: When to dig potatoes

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 5:12PM
chartim(7A)

Thanks Dave

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 5:55PM
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

Mine are slowly getting there so the above is absolutely correct.........when the vines die back.......time to eat.....I planted some yukon gold from the grocery store and they are absolutely beautiful. I dug the first plant to wilt just to see how they were.....

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 3:09PM
tracydr(9b)

Any suggestions for best short season new potato types? I'm thinking about planting in the fall for some little fresh eating potatoes. I thought I might try some fingerlings and maybe some reds.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™