Basil black stem spots

sondragailJune 27, 2010

Hi,

First message post for me. I am a novice but so far love gardening on my little patio. I've noticed some black patches at the base of one of my basil plants. Is this a fungus? If so, how do I treat it? I've also noted some flowering which I have pinched off but both my basil plants seem to have dramatically slowed down growth-wise. Help please. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nkessler0709

I have the same problem with the base of my basil. Im not sure what it is either, and im a little worried. However, I do know a little about harvesting it. If it has slowed, it may be because you aren't pinching at the right spot. You may actually be pinching off the growing point. There are several points on one plant, which means it isn't going to kill it, but it will *slow* it. You can search youtube for a video on how to prune, bc a visual helps! Look at the stem, and notice how every node has two leaves on each side. If it were pinched at one of those points when it was younger, it would have made two new branches/stalks on each side of the main stem. Now, look at the tops, and make sure you are only cutting the stem off at a point right above these tiny little leaves, which will be the new growth of stalks. Basically, you will only be cutting off the top 4 leaves. You can also cut your leaves off the stem, as long as you are removing the older leaf, not the new growth at the junction. Hope we can both figure out what is wrong with our roots!!

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 1:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

Random dark spots on branches are not a concern, but a dark brown to black lesion near the soil line can be a sign of fusarium fungus. Infected plants slowly wilt to death. The Nufar variety is resistant, but it's such a hit and miss disease that I grow what I want and hope for the best.

No matter how well I keep my plants pinched, they won't last the season, especially the Genovese types. I start seeds 3 times -- April, June and July -- to always have new leaves coming. However, the small-leaved strains seem less intent on blooming, in my experience.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
plants in cat litter bags?
I've seen pics of plants growing in reusable shopping...
mystmaiden
sorrel - tastes like wild strawberries?
Found this on ebay when looking at seeds. http://tinyurl.com/lv39fgn...
mystmaiden
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
Flat chives
I have a pot of chives, I planted from seed over a...
karen58_gw
Looking for real Italian Mentuccia
Hi All; I am looking for seeds or plants of the Italian...
entwife
Sponsored Products
New Blue/Brown Medallion 3x9 Oriental Balouch Runner Hand Knotted Wool Rug P921
BH Sun Inc
Black & Beige Arthur Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$14.99 | zulily
2 Piece Accessory Set In Black,
TheBathOutlet
Hand-woven Livingston Natural Fiber Jute Rug (9' x 13')
Overstock.com
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Red Castango 30 in. Outdoor
Home Depot
Linda Black Four-Light Bath Fixture
$153.00 | Bellacor
Flos | Tatou S2 Pendant Light
$745.00 | YLighting
Armin Leather Sectional
Opulent Items
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™