Feverfew. Got questions.

ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)June 11, 2013

A friend gave me a potted feverfew, and I love the darling flowers. She said it reseeds alot, but she likes that. I would like seeds, too, as IF THIS IS as good as it looks, I would love it throughout my rose/cottage garden for borders. Have also thought of oxeye daisy.

QUESTION. Does this feverfew need regular deadheading to bloom for a reliable period of time through the summer?

QUESTION. Does it get ratty looking quickly and need much maintenance?

Any other comments, particularly how it responds to HOT TEXAS SUMMERS. Full sun? Partial sun?

IT IS SOOOO CUTE, would love it everywhere! (watch what I wish for, right??)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

There was a feverfew bush planted in the community garden I now supervise. Last year, my first experience with it was that it grew 2-3' tall, and about that wide, and bloomed profusely. I didn't deadhead, and think I got two blooms. But, it was much bigger than I expected, though the green stayed pretty well too. I'm in Denver, and our summer was quite hot and dry last year, in full intense high-altitude sun.

Unfortunately, it didn't survive our crazy spring cold here this year.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 11:56PM
gjcore

It doesn't need deadheading but it would probably keep it blooming longer.

I have not noticed it getting ratty looking though if it doesn't get enough water it'll start browning up some. Being a relatively small plant it is easy enough to prune.

While it does reseed itself in my experience it doesn't spread wildly. If left to go to seed I get a few that pop up next spring.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:43AM
AphroditesMuse(8)

I've heard that feverfew keeps bees and butterflies away, is that true? It's the only reason it's not in my garden right now.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:02PM
sunwyn(z6aoh)

I have grown Fverfew for years. Mine self seeds without problem and returns every year. It can get a bit ratty but it doesn't last long here as I harvest to use for medicine. If you are worried about it's bee repellent qualities, plant it away from your garden area with other such plants.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 2:35PM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

Awesome. I have one plant and ordered seeds! I'll let you kmow how it goes!

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 6:12PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

ilovemyroses - if you have one plant you probably won't need those seeds! Mine self seeded best in paving rather than beds. It definitely doesn't need babying. Never was aware of any bee repellent qualities.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 5:08AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Doesn't scare the pollinators away from my place. It is very effective at self-seeding but just pull what you don't want. And it survives Western NY State winters like a champ - we have snow, cold, and ice.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™