seeding herbs

margowicz(8/9 UK)June 8, 2013

Hi again I was reading about but can't get answer to these couple question so as i do I thought I ask ones who have done it please.

the seed plants coriander parsley (mine a curly) dill and fennel I have.

My parsley is sending flower heads up I think my dill and coriander will soon.

Question is do i have leave the seeds to develop on the plant and when will it be a good time to cut the flower heads off?

Also will I be able to use it with oregano (green and golden) french parsley flat leaf sage and bronze fennel?

I need the coriander and fennel to develop both seeds to replant and taste as they are a spice.

Once again thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

Leave the seeds on the plant until the flowers turn brown and are about to fall off. Pull the flowers apart to find the seeds. Dill is a very tiny seed.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 10:17PM
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

By use it, do you mean in a spice mix? I think of parsley as a polite herb,,,it doesn't overwhelm other flavors, so I don't see why you couldn't.

Jan

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 5:09PM
margowicz(8/9 UK)

thanks zack I was going to pull them when it was opened so I thank you.

Jll I use most these in cooking I don't see why I should pay a supermarket the money to grow them besides it odd problem mildew and aphids I seem to be ok at minute parsley and coriander the soft herbs and lovely freshness to any dish and colour sas for sage thyme and rosemary the add loads flavour to stews fish etc

but coriander fennel and some more you can use the freshness of leaves and the spiceyness from the seeds what I am after is a mix plants in seeding and others in growing

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 5:39PM
margowicz(8/9 UK)

thanks zack I was going to pull them when it was opened so I thank you.

Jll I use most these in cooking I don't see why I should pay a supermarket the money to grow them besides it odd problem mildew and aphids I seem to be ok at minute parsley and coriander the soft herbs and lovely freshness to any dish and colour sas for sage thyme and rosemary the add loads flavour to stews fish etc

but coriander fennel and some more you can use the freshness of leaves and the spiceyness from the seeds what I am after is a mix plants in seeding and others in growing

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 5:40PM
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

In addition to saving the seeds, in my opinion, fennel and dill weed dries well. Dill is pretty obvious to most people, but I'm just starting to appreciate a tiny pinch of fennel weed to develop flavors (and I'm not big into anise-herb flavor). I've just found that it's a nice more mellow flavor than enhances other flavors rather than the seed which can easily overpower. Also love coriander, but have not really used parsley seed before. Again, see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™