spam

upnort(4)September 30, 2008

Since I joined this fine group of wackos Ive noticed an abundance of spam email. Im not saying anyone here is responsible but theres some distributing of email addresses from this sight no doubt and I dont appreciate it. ivillage, are you listening?????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weed30

The reason you are getting spam is because your email address is right in plain view. There are bots that sweep the internet 24/7 and gather any visible email address, add it to their list, and also sell it to other spammers. Go into your membership page and fix this.

It's actually too late for you to stop spam from going to that particular mailbox though. You'll have to set up a new one and make sure it isn't posted anywhere on the internet!

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 10:01AM
Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.

In your member profile you can set to show your e-mail address to ALL, MEMBERS or NONE, it's almost at the bottom of the page. Yours quite obviously is set to ALL, live and learn, but that's a mistake, as you've found out. As 'weed' said, ditch your current e-mail address, set up a new one and either completely hide it or only show it to members, which is the way I've set mine and I have never seen an increase in spam attributable to my GW membership.

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 1:06PM
just1morehosta(5)

WOW!
I never knew this, i too,am getting more spam than ever before,hmmmmm, i will need to fix this.
Thanks for that info,and for you upnort for mentionening it.
Carol

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 3:49PM
hostasformez4(4/5)

I thought that's what SPAM blockers were for? Just go through your email and put those that you don't know into the SPAM part of the deleting area. Then if they turn up again your SPAM blocker will take care of it.

I hadn't thought that much about it as my email address is listed by my forum name on each post. I'll have to see just how I set mine up.

Connie

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 11:41AM
just1morehosta(5)

I removed mine,can't say i see a difference yet,i should do as suggested and change my address and name.
I am not getting that many spams,i just put them in the spam holder.
Maybe later i will cahnge it.
Carol

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 4:29PM
hostasformez4(4/5)

I'm so used to my email name that I would hate to change it. I am even with the same provider we started with 6 or 7 years ago. We came to the techional age a little later than most people. LOL

Our sons started us out with their used equipment when they updated.
I used it just for games and computer information before we finally went 'online'.We have broad band now and my husband still complains about it being slow. Patience is not his middle name! LOL

Connie

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Advice for a Newbie Hosta Gardener
This past fall I planted four Blue Angel hostas on...
samnsarah
Hosta choice - comments please
Thinking about either Humpback Whale or Blue Angel...
mxk3
First Victim
Had put a few precautionary pellets about a while ago...
frugaljon z8 UK
got pots ...
after a week in the 40s and 50s.. i can finally see...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™