Uses of purple basil?

kadasuki(z6 NW AR)June 22, 2009

I wonder if the forum could tell how to use this plant?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dans_le_jarden(z7 AR)

Put some stems in a bottle of white vinegar. It turns a pretty pink or burgandy. It makes a good hostess gift. Barb

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 9:25PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Use it in exactly the same ways as you'd use the ordinary sweet basil. Just take advantage of its beautiful colour!

Slice carrots and steam until just tender, then cook with a little butter and cream over high heat for about 2 minutes or until the cream thickens slightly. Add purple basil leaves and black pepper to taste and serve with roast chicken.

Cut small zucchini in thin slices and toss in a little olive oil over medium heat until just tender but still crisp. Remove from heat and stir in grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste and scatter with torn purple basil leaves. Serve with grilled red meat.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple basil recipes

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 4:08AM
leira(6 MA)

As daisyduckworth said, you can use it like any sweet basil, but finding ways to take advantage of the color are always great.

Last year we made a purple basil sorbet, which was great, though a bit unusual. It would make a great palate cleanser between courses of a meal, or it would work to serve a scoop of it in a bowl of gazpacho. Some people love it as-is.

We made a purple basil pesto, too, but it didn't hold its color as well as we'd hoped. The taste was great, but it didn't have the striking visual effect we were aiming for.

I think it would make a great Caprese salad with unusually colored tomatoes (like yellow ones, perhaps?) -- tomato slices, basil leaves, fresh mozzarella.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 1:18PM
theflowerlady_2009

You can use it chopped in a fresh tossed salad like mesclun salad greens or a spring salad mix with a vinegrette dressing topped with fettuccine cheese.

You can also take a mushmelon, cut it in half, remove the seeds, take a melon baller and remove the meat inside. Mix the melon meat with 1 tbsp honey, grapes, dried raisins, sunflower seeds, fennel leaves, and basil leaves, and buttermilk ranch bottled dressing. Yum! Yum!

You can also do a chicken recipe. Soak 2 cups cooked chicken in one bottle basil vinegrette. 2 cups chopped paste type tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped onions, 1/4 cup meditterean olives, 1 - 2 tblsp chopped purple basil. Mix everything together. Serve hot or cold

You can also do an onion, watercress, basil sandwich.

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouseland

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:20PM
jessicavanderhoff(7 Md)

Totally agree on the colorful caprese: I like to grab a few leaves of purple basil and a few of green, and chop them up together. They make a beautiful salad.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 1:26PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

I Also use it on burgers, hotdoggs, kabobs, sausages, or any meat sandwiches along with chives and parsley. Chopp them all up and sprinkle over those sandwich meats.In the middle east basil is used a lot with all kinds of kabobs. It is good for digesting fatty food and protein just like members of onion family, without onion breath.Actually basil, parsley, thyme, .. can hide garlic smell too.
Basil is best used fresh, not in cooking. Add it to your cooking during the last minutes.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 4:18AM
jeanwedding(6 ky)

PLEASE Can you all post closeup pics of your purple basils,?????
so I can see if they are like mine... Have so many volunteers.. Just wanna make sure that is what it is.....
I got a start from a local guy gardener via CL and volunteers came in like crazy...
Thanks
Jean

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 2:42PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Try google images.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™