What a Surprise!!!

i_dig_it(z5a - Illinois)October 28, 2006

It has been a hectic week for me. One of my mothers caregivers up and quit, so I have been busy this week with running over there to tend to her and trying to find another fill-in caregiver.

The weather has been cold and gloomy with rain on and off for the past three days, which brought down most all the leaves, so everything including what remaining hosta there were, are covered with leaves for now.

Hubby has been working farther away than usual, so he's up extra early and home late. It seems like I haven't had time to catch my breath and have been too tired to post much here, but I was popping in for a bit just to read.

I was glad it's Friday and was hoping the weekend would help rejuvenate my strength.

I didn't even bother to bring in the mail today, it's usually just bills and junk anyway, lol. So when hubby got home and brought it in I saw an envelope with a peculiar looking "elf" on it.

Suddenly my spirits were lifted! I opened it and found three packets of seed from Tokudama Flavocircinalis, Nakaiana and Paradigm.

The hosta Elf had paid me a visit! Thank you so much elf Teresa! I will surely have fun experimenting with my seeds.

Now, to my embarassment, I have to ask what does the OP mean after the Nakaiana and Paradigm? I am so new to hosta that I have never even seen a hosta seed before, though I did let a couple of stems on my Frances Williams form pods, I don't think they have opened yet. I'll check again tomorrow since the rain has finally let up. Anyway this will be a learning experience for me and I can't wait to see what grows!

I really feel honored that the Elf picked me to share some seeds with. Thank you so much!

Janet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Teresa_MN

OP is open pollination. Meaning, I'm not ambitious to be out in the garden trying to do the crosses myself. I let the bees do it for me.

Nakaiana is one hosta that is used in a number of breeding programs. Last year I did not cut off the scapes and next to the plant this year were dozens of little hostas coming up - no two looking alike. I don't think you can keep these seeds from germinating.

I picked you to receive seed packets because I knew you were fairly new to hostas. Have fun learning to grow them indoors. One day you may be out in your garden trying to do your own crosses. Who knows - you may come up with the next new hosta!

No pressure of course, but I wanted to remind you that there is no hosta named Teresa! :-)

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 2:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo(z6/7)

Oh how cool!

COngrats Janet! You are going to have so much fun with them and it is a great way to keep the winter blues at bay....

Hope you get some great plants!

Alexa

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 6:00AM
More Discussions
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™