Scapes question

flora2b(z6a bc)August 6, 2012

Bear with me please as I'm trying to figure out how scapes are counted (still learning). I have some seedlings that I am growing and don't know how to record what I'm seeing.

When it is noted that a variety has 3/25 buds......is that 3 scapes on just the one fan? Does the plant send up 3 scapes off the one fan all at once, or is it one at a time as in rebloom? How do you tell?

My seedlings have more than one scape, but there is also more than one fan.....I can only see one scape coming out of each fan, thus would be 1.

Am I understanding this right?

Thanks,

flora2b

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judydu2(ZN 9b Louisiana)

That would be 3 branches (or 3-way branching) carrying 25 buds on one scape. The number of fans on a plant is immaterial in this case.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 5:30AM
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

Generally you will get 1 scape from each fan. That's normal behavior for daylilies. If you see fewer than 1 scape per large ("mature") fan, that's worse than normal. If you get additional scapes per fan (generally later), that's rebloom, and it's a good feature.

Likewise, if a plant makes more fans ("increases") quickly, that's also a good feature because it means more scapes and more blooms.

But as Judy said, the 3/25 means each 1 scape has 3-way branching (which I still don't entirely understand but there is a good explanation on AHS website) on average, and each 1 scape has 25 buds on average ("bud count").

Hope this helps.

Nate

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 7:34AM
flora2b(z6a bc)

Thanks Nate and Judy for straightening me out.
I get it now.
flora2b

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
Need some serious Daylily help
We are upgrading the front of the house with new railings...
msskriss
NOIDS! The last alphabet post!
This has been fun! Now alot of us have to wait for...
sherrygirl zone5
Emmerich Daylilies
These are some of the Karol Emmerich daylilies I grow...
Julia NY
Looking better...Knee and Spring's Arrival
January 10th, while walking across a level floor, carrying...
organic_kitten
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™