Just wondering if anyone has knowledge on anything potentially unsafe about consuming 100G of dried marjoram daily... thats like a couple cups worth.
Or would it be perfectly fine?
Whoa! That's overdosing big-time! While marjoram is generally considered to be a safe herb, there is such a thing as Too Much!
Think about this: it's a herb which is recommended to be avoided by pregnant women and those who are breastfeeding. It's not easy to find out why, but there IS a reason, and I suggest you do some research to find the answer.
Then think about some of the constituents of marjoram. In small amounts they don't do much harm (and may do some good), but in large amounts you're asking for trouble.
Flavenoids: generally considered a good thing, but because of their hypotensive properties, you could be mucking around with your blood pressure.
Caffeic Acid: Same as in coffee.
Phenol: in large amounts can cause may cause nausea, vomiting, paralysis, convulsions and respiratory failure, even death. This is why you should never ingest marjoram or oregano essential oil. Remember, the leaves contain some essential oil which give it its flavour. In small amounts safe, but in large amounts - dangerous.
Saponins: once again, OK in small amounts, but in large amounts these are toxic. Think 'soapwort', which is high in saponins, and which should never be used internally.
Think about this, too. Marjoram is strongly antiseptic. Do you normally swig large quantities of household antiseptics?
Research has shown that long-term use of marjoram in medicinal doses may cause cancer. The obvious inference is that large daily doses of the kind you are considering could well have a similar effect.
If you are taking it for its medicinal benefits, please note that in larger-than-recommended doses, you are likely to get exactly the opposite effect to what you want. ie in small amounts it works as required; in large amounts it works against you. Research has found this to be the case with marjoram.
Ask yourself why the plant can cause allergic reactions in some people merely by contact with it. This is especially noted in those who are allergic or sensitive to other members of the Lamiaceae family (mint, hyssop, basil, lavender, sage, to mention a few).
Ask yourself why it is not recommended to administer medicinal doses of marjoram to children.
No, I'm not going to spoon-feed you with sources of this information. I've merely provided you with the bare facts to start you on your own research.
I have two pots of nastursiums on my deck (probably spelled wrong) and the leaves have turned pale green/yellow. They were green and healthy at first. They're full of flowers, but the foliage is awful. Help
Does any one know if perennial sweet pea can be grown in window boxes? I have several growing on my deck, climbing up chicken wire, and so far, so good. The boxes are around 8inches deep by 36inches long. Will they over winter out there?