Best Bulk Pectin?

delairenJune 16, 2011

Hey All - in preparation for canning this season, I thought I'd purchase some bulk Pectin rather than the individual boxes - and was wondering if anyone had any experiences they'd care to share - things I'd like to know are:

what brand you purchased

how much did you use per recipe

how well did it work

where did you buy it

...And anything else pertinent. :-)

I've already ordered a pound of Pomona to try out, but from what I've been hearing it's not the best for getting really clear jellies, so I figured I'd get some of both regular pectin and Pomona and use the regular pectin for full-sugar Jellies. Thoughts? Thanks!

Del

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenman101(Z6 Spingfield, Ma)

Id also like to know as well. What is a good bulk source for pectin, pickling seasonings and salt, etc. Thanks

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 12:47AM
andschel

well delairen, i have been having the same question, i found some ball pectin in a container that would make 3-4 batches and it said that use 6 tbs. per normal boxes. i found it at pamida, but i've seen it at k-mart. i haven't tried it yet, i'm slightly worried that it wouldn't work because i have always used sure-jell.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 12:03PM
msfuzz

You can buy Pomona Pectin in bulk. I've only used it out of the boxes, but I liked it. It's a no-sugar pectin that uses calcium for activation, so it's great for people who want to be free to add their own kinds/amounts of sweeteners. The only problem I had is that the set on my raspberry jam was just a teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeny bit soft. Not enough to make a difference, but definitely not as firm as what I got using SureJell. Could have been user error, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pomona

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™