Helichrysum italicum (curry plant) propagation methods

snapper245(z9b FL)July 24, 2005

Does anyone know how the Helichrysum italicum propagates? Does it make seeds? I found a species in Calabria which makes wonderful flowers, but can not bring a cutting back with me. If it makes seeds, I could get them Phyto certified so the USDA lets me bring them in.

any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldherb(z8 Oregon)

You can take cuttings of now. You can use a powder or liquid rooting hormone. Just remember to not overdo the hormone as a little goes a long way and too much will actually cause the darn things to not root at all or very little.

Use a fast draining media such as 1/2 perlite and 1/2 pumice for the cuttings...I have used sand in the past with some success but like the 1:1 mix best. Keep in a bright but shaded location. Too much misting and humidity can cause fungus growth on the fuzzy grey foliage. Keep the rooting media moist (not wet) to ensure root production.

Root zone heating is recommended for faster rooting especially if you are doing this indoors.

It will take at least a month for good roots to appear and in optimum conditions you should be able to transplant at 40 days.

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 8:18PM
snapper245(z9b FL)

yeah, but as I indicated, I can not bring a cutting back with me.

Does Helichrysum italicum produce viable seeds?

Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 6:20AM
maurice_farlie_hotmail_com

Yes, it does.
"Seed - sow February/March in a greenhouse. The seed usually germinates in 2 - 3 weeks at 20°c. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts."

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants for a Future

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 5:56AM
ramon5000

In general rooting hormones should NOT be used on edible plants.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 7:43PM
mosshollowe_gmail_com

Just to follow up on ramon5000, Helichrysum italicum is not edible, though it has useful medicinal topical applications (bruises, varicose veins, etc).

It is often confused with another plant known as a "curry plant," which is Murraya koenigii and is used in cooking. They look entirely different, but are unfortunately often sold as the same thing. Even their other names are confused and used interchangeably (immortelle, everlasting).

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Anyone here who grows Nepeta?
I want to grow Nepeta but not Nepeta Cataria (catnip)....
cooperdr_gw
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™