Question about Canning Dried Beans

missemerald(7 (Virginia))June 30, 2012

I found this recipe on the internet today (during a break from storm recovery here in VA), and wondered if it was okay. I thought I'd ask y'all since you have been so helpful in this process for me.

One of the things that stands out for me is the cornstarch... I made pie filling this week and was told NOT to use cornstarch in pie fillings. But it is in this recipe, though not much. The other thing that puzzles me is to put dry beans and boiling water into the jar vs. a hot bean/liquid mixture, but maybe that's okay to do?

Here's the recipe:

Bean Mix

2 tbls dry, minced onion

1 tbls chili powder (I use my home grown dried peppers)

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp garlic powder (if you use garlic salt omit the additional 1tsp salt)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp cornstarch

Mix spices and store in airtight container.

1 lb dry beans = about 3 pints

Add about 1/2 c dry beans to pint jar, 1 tbls dry mix and cover with boiling water. Adjust lids according to canning procedures.

Pressure can at 11lbs pressure. 65min for pints, 75min for qts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

We used to pack dried beans that way, but I was a young married then and I'm on Social Security now, so to say it's out of date is really understatement.

I have a 1982 canning book, and the pack then was par-cooked beans hot packed, so raw pack went by the wayside long, long ago.

Not to mention the raw beans absorb most of the liquid. So aside from the safety issues, what you're likely to be left with is half a jar of crunchy dry beans and no liquid.

So in short, forget those instructions. Don't even think about it.

(And why anyone would recommend cornstarch with a naturally starchy product like beans is beyond me.)

Carol

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 5:01AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree - that is bad info. In addition all the reasons Carol mentioned the processing times are way off. They are even less than the processing times required for pre-soaked beans (75 and 90 min) when in fact they would have to be longer, a lot longer. At least 1/2 of the processing time would be spent just rehydrating the beans so that the heat could penetrate them. So with those instructions you'd end up with unsafe, under-processed beans.

Based on these instructions, I would not use any of the canning info found on that website.

Dave

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 9:40AM
missemerald(7 (Virginia))

The recipe just seemed wrong, which is why I asked about it. So far, I only BWB, no pressure canner, but I'm considering investing in one and recipes like these catch my eye from time to time. Normally, I stick with one of the Ball books or Small Batch Preserving. Thanks for the info.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:13AM
backyardbum

Would it be safe to use the spices except the cornstarch, and use the nchfp guidelines for processing?

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 5:32PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes adding dried herbs and spices poses no safety problems but take it easy with them as many can turn quite strong, even bitter, while on the shelf. Cornstarch doesn't fall into that safe category.

Dave

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™