Older clumps, better blooms?

mitanoff(Z4b Ontario)August 24, 2009

After perusing this forum, I am getting the impression that a newly planted daylily may perform better as it gets older. Is this true?

This is my first year planting daylilies, and although I got blooms on most, the flowers have been sporadic and few. Is it possible that once it gets more established, that they will perform better?

For example: My 'First Knight' (planted just after frost) produced 3 flowers and that's it. Is this typical of this particular variety or can I look forward to a better show next year? I realize as it gets bigger (year after year), it will have more flowers, but that's not what I mean. Maybe I'm not explaining myself well. Arrgh.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uroboros5(Z5 Quebec)

They do better over time, up to a point. If a mature clumps stops blooming, you can divide it, give it compost, and it will do better again.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 9:42AM
Edward_Kimball

A daylily will do best once it has matured to a full clump. This can take 3 to 5 years. I am sure First Knight will do much better next year.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 9:44AM
timberohio(6)

Just because a daylily may be registered as 5 way branching with a 30 bud count down south don't expect to get that in your zone.

If you newly planted this spring give it a few years to adjust to your area. Then if it doesn't perform the way you want, try looking at where it is planted. You may try a different spot in your yard or move it out of your yard completely.

Order from Northern Hybridizers and gardens for plants that do well in you zone.

Hope this helps. Just a few tidbits I've learned from everyone on here.

Andrea

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 9:51AM
greyhorse

I have First Knight. In my garden it's not a fast increaser. The first year it didn't have a lot of blooms. The second year it was gorgeous -- a lot more flowers and a much richer color. Moved it last fall, and this year it had one scape of ho-hum blossoms. I'm not going to move it again soon! Other varieties can be brutally divided and transplanted and take up the next year right where they left off.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
Lambert daylilies
would love to see pics of John Lambert daylilies ....
signet_gw
Voles and Snow Cover
With the great weather today I did some cleanup in...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Pretty Pinks Posing Prettily
There were a lot of pinks drawing my attention in the...
shive
Time for desirable "D" daylilies!
Time to dig in the files for your "D"s! Lets...
sherrygirl zone5
Pauline Henry daylilies
I was brousing a couple of daylily sites the other...
Maryl zone 7a
Sponsored Products
Pali Designs Trieste 4 in 1 Convertible Crib Collection - PALI105
$549.99 | Hayneedle
Ella Jayne Diamond Jacquard Gel Pillow - Set of Two
$34.99 | zulily
Classic Home Furniture - Hampton Round Dining Table 60" - 51001261
Great Furniture Deal
Universal Twin over Futon Bunk Bed - HL2602
$659.99 | Hayneedle
Ortho Sleeper Bolster Pet Bed Dog Bed
$119.50 | FRONTGATE