Rosemary age??

petalstx(DFW)July 25, 2012

How long can I expect my rosemary plant/bush to live? I'll need to start thinking of a replacement. One in backyard only survived 2yrs. This one in front yard is 7yrs old.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

What a beautiful specimen! Trim it back a little from time to time (more to allow light into the centre, otherwise those central parts will all turn brown and only the tips will be green - I can see some of that brown showing through, bottom left) and your plant should last about 40 years. Otherwise, do nothing different and enjoy your rosemary for a long while yet.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 5:48PM
wally_1936(8b)

You can always do cuttings to start more plants as a backup, just in case. That is a very pretty plant you have there.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 11:49AM
petalstx(DFW)

Have done cuttings and made small Christmas topiaries for presents. Had best luck with cuttings in floral foam.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 5:27PM
opal52(z7b GA)

Your Rosemary bush is very pretty. Our original (first) Rosemary Bush, which was started from seed, is 17 years old and still going strong. We have several others, all started from either layering, or taking cuttings from the original bush. To me, layering is the easiest propagation for Rosemary.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 12:40PM
cryptid(Southern OR 7)

I did take pictures, but I'm not sure where they are, exactly, at present, however we did have a monstro-large sage shrub that was at least 20+ years old at our former residence prior to where we live now. It was a marvel indeed! Never gave it any special treatment. Just watered it generously during the summer.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:18AM
More Discussions
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™