plants to deter ants

mommie_roseJuly 8, 2007

I have a number of herbs growing in pots outside my back door on my patio. We used to have a big ant problem, with thm getting into our house through the back door. Now all the ants are gone. As I put all the herbs out around the same time, I don't know which one(s) deter the ants. I'd like to know so I can leave the herb(s) by the door in the winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Could it be that you had put down some kind of poison for the ants you forgot about? Boric acid seems to kill ants and mixed with water and something sweet like sugar, makes for a great ant bait. Here, I see ants all over my garden, which don't seem to affect any plant growth. I am now growing tomatoes, peppers, dill, basil, string beans, peas, limas, thyme, oregano, rosemary, asparagus, onions, garlic, chives, fruit trees including apple, peach, raspberries, blueberries. None of these seem to be bothered by any ants.

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 5:14PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Ants will often come and go according to the weather. They'll often come into the house if it rains, or in a drought, for instance.

If they're after termites, they'll invade, too. Once the population of termites has depleted enough not to be able to support the population of ants, they'll go hunting elsewhere.

Sage, pennyroyal, peppermint, rue, mint, bay, lavender, marigolds, pyrethrum, wormwood, yarrow or tansy will all deter ants.

If they got to your coffee grounds, they wouldn't like that, either. And they don't like vinegar, or chilli, or cucumber.

Boiling water isn't so good for them, either!

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 6:30PM
mommie_rose

Thank you guys! I have mint and marigolds back there and I do put coffee grounds in my pots as well. I thought it may have been my echinasia.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
Different varieties of papalo?
I have papalo seed from 4 different vendors for a while...
KudosFromUdo
Got some bugs... killing my Mint
I need help find out what kind of pest is the one killing...
lovemiami
Wanted: Herb seeds for SASE
Hello. I am trying to do a project with my daughters...
Brenda Lee
Herb & Edible Flower Round Robin Swap
Inviting everyone to join my Herb & Edible Flower...
EricaBraun
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™