Do you like to weed?

sweetmonkeycheese(z9 Tampa)July 13, 2014

I kinda like weeding, since I dont have much in way of a garden yet (slowly but surely) weeding gives me something to do in the garden that is cheap/free to do and gives instant results.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echobelly

Sometimes I find it relaxing, as long as there's not too much, then it just seems hopeless and overwhelming. I've been known to resort to Roundup at those times. You're right about instant gratification.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 3:52PM
zzackey(8b GA)

It helps me vent sometimes and I know the plants appreciated it. Not have to share their water and food.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:04PM
sweetmonkeycheese(z9 Tampa)

LOL, this reminds, yes it does feel like venting some days, every once in a while I really feel like... "Ha Ha I got those little F-ers"... now since the weeds are not truly out to get me I wonder who or what I have misplaced weeding rage against!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:20PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

My 8' x 16' veggie plot has totally gone to weeds. Is it practical to think that I could just cover it with black plastic and let the hot Texas sun kill the weeds and weed seeds?
K

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:24PM
calistoga_al

If you watered it first, covered with clear plastic, sealed with soil around the edges, waited six weeks, most of the weed seeds would be dead. Of course the ground would still need cultivating before planting. Al

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:31PM
amberroses(10a)

If you really like it, you can come to my yard and pull some weeds. :)

I absolutely hate pulling weeds in the hot humid summer. The mosquitoes are everywhere and I feel like I'm going to die of heatstroke every time I go outside. Fire ants and creepy critters are hiding all around. Yuck.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:35PM
ritaweeda

I'm with Amberroses, you can come here and just Zen out all over the place. I have a bad back and a bad wrist, it's hell to weed. I have to kneel down on one of those kneeling benches, pull the suckers, then carefully get back up, move over, blah blah blah. Weeds are the devil's spawn.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:43PM
morningloree(9b)

My yard seems hopeless. I don't mind weeding, but it is soon overgrown again. I mind reweeding!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:40PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
i like to refer to them as "wildflowers" Don't seem nearly as bad as weeds?? lol gary

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:14AM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

I won't say I like it, but I do find it therapeudic. And it's not so much about ventint as just having quiet time to think on other things. With my sandhill soil, not many weeds are hard to pull. They never really become a burden, partly because every time I go out I pull a weed here or there and partly because I do not strive for perfection. But then, I started this whole gardening/landscaping thing for the therapy, both physical and mental and told myself back then not to get too hung up on things. Weeding isn't a chore that needs to be done so I can enjoy my garden, it is part of enjoying my garden.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:35PM
zzackey(8b GA)

The nice part about weeding is that is all I focus on. No problems and no pain.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:14PM
sweetmonkeycheese(z9 Tampa)

love this - and it is how I feel, I am hoping it is not a newbie thing and I will always like to weed.

"Weeding isn't a chore that needs to be done so I can enjoy my garden, it is part of enjoying my garden."

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:30PM
irma_stpete_9b

Apparently so. I think I'm a "subtractive sculptor" - cannot create art from scratch, but can trim, shape, rearrange, (and weed) forever.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Where can I get Ceropegia woodii?
Hello folks, This new format will take some getting...
flowerladylorraine
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™