Hey Marshall

fl_gypsyNovember 23, 2010

"Among the Amazonian tribes I visited,"

I've seen your comments more than once regarding items you've observed in your travels. I'm just curious.....alright, I'm being nosy :^) as to whether this travel was for business or pleasure.....if you don't mind my asking. If you'd rather not say I understand. You've written about visiting a few different tribes. I found that very interesting and wondered if it was just a sightseeing thing or if you got to really mingle and learn about the group you were with. You may have posted something regarding this previously but if you did, I missed it.

Me, if I can't drive ( meaning the US, Canada or Mexico) I won't see it as "I don't Fly and I don't Float". I've been in a majority of the states in the US and driven a ways into Mexico and Canada but just can't make myself get on a plane or ship. I have been up with my Daddy in his plane a couple of times and went up with my sister during a lesson once and those few times were more than enough. My Daddy tried to get me to take lessons (he was even going to pay for them) but I said thanks but no thanks. Not much that I am scared of, but flying and floating are two things that have me stymied. For anything out of driving possibilities, I have to live thru others adventures or read about it. Thank goodness there is always something new and exciting to see here in the US and I still have almost all of Canada to explore when I retire.....have driven quite a distance into Mexico in the past but don't think I will do that again as long as things remain the way they are right now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

fl_gypsy, sorry I missed your questions to me. Been away celebrating Thanksgiving with children and grandkids. Flying never bothered me although flying Peruvian military transport was more dangerous than flying with local bush pilots. Today, I rather drive than turn myself into a member of a cattle herd jammed into a plane.

My trips to South America were all work-related during my "prior life" as an academic/researcher, although from the POV of those paying the bills some of those excursions might have been considered touring.

My earlier trips to Peru and the Amazon region were related to researching land/resource management of indigenous people. I was particularly interested in their ethnobotanical knowledge and how their fed themselves with so little effort and outside support.

Later I returned to work on "Green Revolution" rice research with formal field trials and some "farm extension" work getting local family farmers to grow the new grain varieties.

Toward the end of my academic career, I worked for some months in Venezuela putting my soil science and geomorphology training to work on an archeological project. That work was stimulated by a great drought that had hit the Llanos region (seasonally flooded grasslands and savannas). We were able to trench to depth for a study of the origins of ridged fields found in part of the Apure River drainage.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 12:29PM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Forget the candles, it is time to take this forum off of life support...

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 7:08AM
fl_gypsy

Sounds like you had an exciting career. I read about foreign lands and sometimes think I would really like to see them but then that plane or float alarm flashes on in my head. My brother, who is a museum curator, would have liked your job. Unlike me, he flies and floats. He talks about sailing down to South America when he retires. He loves sailing, taking his kayak out, riding his bike around Lake O. or just traipsing thru the woods and I like doing all that too, except the sailing. DonâÂÂt float unless it is in a canoe and as long as itâÂÂs not in the ocean. ;^) Of course some people would think I was crazy for canoeing in places where itâÂÂs a possibility that you may see a gator as long as your canoe. Anyway, I think I would enjoy sitting down listening to some of your stories. IâÂÂm sure you have plenty of good ones.

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 9:25AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Yeah, the first half of my life could be said to have been exciting; OTOH, the latter half has been more rewarding in many ways. Guess I am more like your brother while you are more like my brother. (He too is ultra-conservative!)

I bet you've good some good stories for me around that fire.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 11:09AM
fl_gypsy

âÂÂHe too is ultra-conservativeâÂÂ

Yep, I am usually ultra-conservative politicallyâ¦.other mattersâ¦..it depends. As far as war stories, I might have a few that you would enjoy as IâÂÂve not always been conservative :^) and I am pretty adventurous other than being âÂÂskeertâ of flying and floating. IâÂÂm sure tho, that you and my brother would enjoy each otherâÂÂs stories.

Hey, itâÂÂs kind of nice sharing thoughts under a white flag. ;^) WeâÂÂll have to do it again one day.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 12:39PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Vvvvery good idea. Too many issues have become politicized. Seems too many folks cannot hold an opinion running counter to current POV's of partisan hacks.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 8:31PM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

OK, now the plug can be pulled...

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 7:11AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Hoot!

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 11:34AM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Hey! Do I detect a flat line?

Bookmark   December 3, 2010 at 7:00AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

No...surely you agree...?

Bookmark   December 3, 2010 at 10:10AM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

What is this? __________________________________________________________________________

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 6:59AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

An inviting line to limn literary lines?

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 9:28AM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Good luck, I am just getting into the last life boat as this forum sinks below the Facebook waves...

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 7:18AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

I hope so. Facebook? Can't believe FB's host of trivial pursuits and meglomania.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 11:03AM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Will send help from HT if there are any survivors...

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 8:32AM
woodnymph2_gw

What a refreshing thread! Almost makes me want to return to these forums....

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 10:04AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

All nymphs are welcomed here on the softer side of HT. We are nymphomaniacs, in fact, for nymphs on HT!

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 10:25PM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Take a cold shower and report back to HT...

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 7:39AM
More Discussions
Dinosaurs are bad!
This is hard to believe! Ummmm...anyone have an idea...
asleep_in_the_garden
Congratulations Nebraska
They saw this coming and were changing the forms in...
labrea_gw
Bibi's speech tomorrow
Are you planning on watching? I sure am!
ogrose_tx
WTF?? Where is the seed exchange???
Is it gone because it's free?
sammymocha
Indecent Exposure
Rep. David Moore on Tuesday introduced House Bill 365...
labrea_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™