Mango's, - a glut or famine ahead ?
Was just bragging to myself recently about my abundant harvest of luscious-looking mango's from my two producing 4 year old mango trees,..a Glenn and a Vallencia Pride. The 3rd tree, a Kent, - same age, has taken this year off, but was happy just the same as the other two had about 40 ripening mangos on each, their best year so far and more than enough for me and a few friends.
One of those friends just visited from the Upper Keys, and being a mango-maniac like me, we scoured this area of SW Florida to see what the other, much more mature trees we were familiar with, were doing this year. To our amazement, they were all barren, - about 30 trees in all ! 98 % of the trees had not even one solitary mango,..the other 2 % had just a half dozen at most.
Wow, in my 10 years of living here ( just south of Venice & west of Pt Charlotte ), I have never seen a drought like this ! Then on last Monday evening's Fox News at 10 PM, they did a segment on the sudden low yield of mango's this season in all of Florida ! They featured the owner of a large mango provider on Pine Island who had to tell all her customers " very few mango's available this year ! "
So am wondering if there is any consensus of mango farmers out there who may have more to contribute to this topic. It sure took me by surprise. Just hope the TV report was overly pessimistic. How are these trees doing in your area ?
This post was edited by jofus on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 8:01