how to freeze swiss chard?

michelelcJuly 1, 2012

I'm looking for some good tips for freezing swiss chard. Last year I froze some kale. I sauted it with olive oil and garlic then just froze it in small packages. Would this work for swiss chard, also?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Just like spinach or any other leafy green. Instructions linked below. Personally I wouldn't include olive oil since it cuts storage life and separates. Add it after opening prior to serving.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezing Spinach/Leafy Greens

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:52PM
gardenman101(Z6 Spingfield, Ma)

Ok, it says leave 1/2 inch headspace, what are we freezing it in? bags or jars? I know it may sound stupid, but I would like the right way (or better ) wouldnt want to do bags if containers are better, and vice versa.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:32PM

wouldnt want to do bags if containers are better, and vice versa.

I think that is a personal preference. Some prefer ziplock bags, some use vacuum seal bags (I do), some use the hard plastic freezer containers, some use jars. The headspace guide applies to to the formed, hard containers.

IMO vacuum sealing gives you the longest storage time and the least freezer burn.

Dave

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 10:34AM
2ajsmama

I've got a lot of chard in the garden (kale too). I thought you ate the chard stems - would you really strip them like spinach before blanching?

michele - did you strip the kale leaves? How big were they?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 5:25PM

Yes chard stems are usually stripped or cut out of the leaf and cooked separately since they are so fibrous they require a much longer cooking time than the rest of the leaf. They are often served like asparagus.

Dave

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 6:11PM
2ajsmama

Thanks Dave - the Bright Lights chard is so pretty I'd hate to throw away the stems unless they were so tough as to be inedible. So I should look for blanching time for asparagus and freeze the stems separately? I admit I like things practically raw.

Kale stems aren't quite so big - so OK to leave them together with the leaves?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 7:34PM
michelelc

I cut the stems off of the leaves for the chard, and I blanched them for 3 mins instead of 2 mins. I packaged them in separate zip loc bags. I thought I could use it for a nice crunch in stir fries or soups.
As for Kale, I think I cut the stem out of them, too. Honestly I don't remember, but I didn't blanch them, I cooked them down in a frying pan with olive oil and some garlic, last year.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™