Need help getting started growing celantro

dnraikesJuly 25, 2009

Hello,

My wife and I use celantro in our cooking occassionally, but the only way we can get it in the store is in big bunches most of which goes to waste. We thought it might be a good/fun idea to grow our own celantro, but not being gardeners at all, we just want some tips on getting started.

We are in Arizona, so after reading a number of the posts in this forum, I realize that the celantro won't do well outside during the summer months, so can we grow it inside in a pot or something similar?

How much water/light do the plants need?

Also from reading the posts, it sounds like once ithe plants go past the initial flat-leaf stage, that we should just pull them and go on to the next batch of younger plants.

As I said, we are real newbies, never having been very successful in growing anything particularly before, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

According to the University of Arizona, you can grow it indoors, but I have never had any luck growing it indoors. Here is a website on container growing plants in Arizona. In south Texas, where it is very hot, we don't plant cilantro until the fall. It is a cool-weather herb that is planted in the fall, and should survive until it gets hot which is generally in April and May. Then it bolts, dies and doesn't come back until the fall. You might want to check with your county extension agent to see if there are any master gardeners in your area that can help you with the problem.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Plant multiple seeds in small pots, maybe 20 or more seeds per 2-3 inch pots. Plant succesive pots every 2-3 weeks for a continual supply. If indoor growing, give them plenty of sunlight if possible, but be sure they are kept cool indoors under 80 degrees. If they are not in sun for at least 8 hours per day, use plant lights and place these about 2-4 inches away from the pots and then plants. Leave the plant lights on from 6am to about 10pm. Use good quality seed starting medium, NOT potting soil or outdoor soil. The flat parsley shaped leaves last about 10 days after they start showing up. Add a little organic slow release fertilizer with nitrogen as the higher component once they start to sprout. DO NOT overwater!

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
When can you plant Cilantro seeds in your Garden?
I'm in Zone 5, I know Cilantro can tolerate some cool...
jd101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™