best herb books

lenahall(7b)July 5, 2013

i'm looking for suggestions for good herb books for a beginner. I saw on one post that Homegrown Herbs by Tammi Hartung. Any others?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
margowicz(8/9 UK)

I got jekka from a recommendition from someone on here flora_uk I seam to remember

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 5:53PM
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

I recommended the Tammi Hartung book in another post. Still love it for basic growing/use info.

If you're into getting serious culinary with fresh herbs, then I also like The Herbfarm Cookbook by Jerry Traunfeld. Most of the recipes aren't for general home cook, more suited to restaurant, but there are bunches of charts on uses of herbs that are very useful, and some basic recipes for such as herbed sauces, creams, sorbets, etc.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 1:10AM
nickl(Z7a NJ)

All of the herb books in our library are the classics.

For up-to date information, we rely on publications by the Herb Society of America. Some of them are freely available to the public on the HSA website, but for others you have to be a member..

Here is a link that might be useful: The HSA'a Essential Guide to The Beginner's Herb Garden

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 10:04AM
lenahall(7b)

thanks, y'all!! i ordered the hartung and jekka books from half.com and will def check out the hsa's guide!!

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 10:41AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

What are you looking for in a book? Growing, recipes, medicinal and other uses as well as culinary, a combination, ? It would help us suggest titles.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 6:16PM
lenahall(7b)

i would say i'm looking for a good combination of all uses as well as optimal conditions for them and maybe some ideas on companion plantings...

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 8:51PM
nicuuv

I recommend the internet..it is big, it is free and it is the best encyclopedia

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:18AM

But books that provide a good reference are so valuable and make it soooooo easy to access information ---- especially for new herb gardeners.

For 1 all around book, I do love New Encyclopedia of Herbs & Their Uses by Deni Bown. See if you can pick up a used copy. It has both growing and using info - including culinary, medicinal, dyeing, etc. herbs. Having info about more than just your standard kitchen herbs is so wonderful.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 3:26PM
lenahall(7b)

thanks fatamorgana!! i'll check those out.
and there is nothing like the smell of a book!!

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 1:00PM

Ah, the smell and the feel of the page.... And curling up with a good book, is like sharing a cup of tea with an old friend. It is priceless.

Good general references on gardening and seed starting are very useful as well to the herb gardener.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™