Green larvae all over garden

Morkie6July 11, 2013

Hello there. So, I planted calendulas for salves and salads and because they are very pretty. Well, they were growing at a fine rate and started producing flowers, but then I noticed the holes. Of course, the first thing I did was check underneath the leaves. What I saw was hundreds of tiny green caterpillar looking bugs nibbling away! At first it was all right. I picked them off and started spraying the leaves with diluted dish washer detergent and I had no more troubles. Occasionally I'd find one or two on a dill plant or a bush bean, but they never many. I went on a month long vacation, leaving my garden in the hands of my trusted neighbor and I told her to spray the calendulas. Well about 3 weeks into it she said that tiny green caterpillars tore apart my cucumbers, cilantro, an Lemonbalm! I can't possibly spray them all...any ideas on ways to deal with these with no harmful pesticides or gruesome caterpillar murder? Perhaps plants that repel them? I'd really appreciate the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
margowicz(8/9 UK)

this might be of use to you

http://toadstoolponds.wordpress.com/2007/12/07/why-plant-marigolds-in-your-vegetable-garden/

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 7:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaraRose

I'd spray with BT.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Anyone here who grows Nepeta?
I want to grow Nepeta but not Nepeta Cataria (catnip)....
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™