Help with plant identification, is this sage? pics inside

smonky(6 Western NY)July 11, 2007

I got a package of seeds that said "Sage" from a local garden center. They were mass producted (commercial) seeds. However, I've never planted Sage before.

We planted it, and what came up does not smell like sage or look like any Sage photos I see. It's now flowering and I have no idea what this plant is.

Can you help me tell what the heck this is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justintn_z7(7)

If it is sage it is not garden or common sage, it could be Salvia but I dont think it is.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 6:56PM
herboholic

There are many different varieties of sage, but it's not one I've ever seen. I always ask...what does it smell like? If you've ever smelled sage, there is no mistaking it for anything else.

The blooms don't look like sage blooms either, but again...there are many varieties.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 7:13PM
smonky(6 Western NY)

Yeah, thats the thing, it doesnt really smell like anything.
I wonder what the heck this is that I planted.
Whatever it is, its growing tall.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 8:22PM
cearab

I have 4 varieties of sage in my garden. None of it looks like this. Plus, there is a sage smell when you just brush by the leaves. I don't know what you're got, but I am pretty sure it's not sage.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 9:20PM
smonky(6 Western NY)

The only other thing that could have spilled in this area was Oregano. And this does not look like oregano either

jeeze :)

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 9:32PM
CA Kate

It is neither a Salvia (Sage) or an Oregano. It looks to me like a radish that has bolted.... or perhaps one of the Cole Crops (Cabbage family).

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 10:25PM
herboholic

I agree, cearab, sage is like rosemary, when you brush by it you get an unmistakable smell. I can never resist grabbing at the sage and rosemary and putting my face in the basil, lol!

If it doesn't smell like much of anything, it definitely isn't sage. I'm in agreement with not oregano, either.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 10:39PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Doesn't look like sage to me.. Sage that I grew was an oval shaped leaf. The photos look a little more like a tomato leaf, but thats not what it is either, due to the white flowers.

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 11:26AM
surf_grrl(coastal Van Isl)

The leaves and flowers look like rocket (arugula) to me - looks like the rocket I grew, anyhow.

Pic in link below (not my garden).

Here is a link that might be useful: Arugula

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 2:52AM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Looks like rocket to me, too. (arugula) Taste a small part of a leaf. Rocket is a peppery, pungent flavour - the older leaves much more robust in flavour than the young ones. Flowers are edible, with a similar flavour. Use it like lettuce or spinach.

Having said that, it's always my advice to take an unidentified plant to a professional source BEFORE you eat it! Too many poisonous plants closely resemble safe ones to take a risk. A good nursery, especially a herb nursery, or a botanical gardens, or your local agricultural authority will all be able to identify any plant for you, sometimes at a cost.

Also, if you still have that label/packaging, write a letter to the retailer and producer of the product, and/or go to the place you bought the seeds, and jump on somebody's chilblains. Customers often change labels in nurseries, but it shouldn't happen with seed packets! COMPLAIN. LOUDLY. Would be nice(!) if they changed the label of angelica to hemlock, wouldn't it?

If you look at a sage flower (couldn't find a pic of the seeds)you'll see a picture of some sage flowers. Inside, if you look closely, you'll see a little round, blackish dot. That's the seed. It'll start off green, then go beige and brown, then shiny black.

Seeds form in small receptacles which appear after flowering at the bottom of the calyx, usually 4 seeds per calyx. Once mature, they are black and can easily be knocked out of the receptacles. This usually occurs once the flower stalks turn brown.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 5:40AM
barbeygirl

Yep, that's arugula that has bolted. It's delicious when it's young but won't be very good eating now.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 2:40PM
smonky(6 Western NY)

Thanks for the help everyone, i just pulled it and discarded.
I'm a little confused how I got herb seeds and grew arugula. :)
I will be transplanting a dill plant in its place.

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 10:18AM
lorna-organic

Definitely, that is arugula. I love the stuff. I have been growing it for years. It is classified as a pot herb. The young leaves are good in salads and sandwiches. The more mature leaves can be cooked. I like to add arugula to soups and stir fries. It has a spicy, smoky flavor.

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 1:31PM
classicrox

That's a lettuce called arugula! Quite yummy in salads and stir fries. I grow it in my salad garden.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 3:50PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Just for accuracy, Arugula, although a salad plant, is not a lettuce. It is in a different plant family, the Brassicaceae. lettuce is in the Asteraceae.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 5:23AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

AND the winner is: (The envelope plse.!) ARUGULA,

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 5:33AM
More Discussions
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
plants in cat litter bags?
I've seen pics of plants growing in reusable shopping...
mystmaiden
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
How should I dry my parsley leaves?
I have three large bunches of Parsley. How should I...
zzackey
Curly leaf peppermint
Does anyone know where to obtain curly leaf peppermint...
Web Loafer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™