Very Strong Flavor Oregano

ali-bJuly 8, 2011

I have some greek oregano that I grew from seed (third season). I hadn't picked any of it this season until yesterday. It already has white flowers on it but I thought I'd try it anyway. The flavor was so incredibly bitter and sharp. It actually made my tongue feel numb. It was so strong, I didn't use any in the tomato sauce I was making for fear of ruining it.

I've used this oregano before and its never tasted this strong. Is this because it was in flower or its an older plant or possibly some other reason?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Hot & dry lately? The prevailing thought here is that a plant is much stronger tasting when it has been stressed and not so full of extra water.

So you can: Try drying the oregano first. That may mellow some of the taste. Young leaves have more mild flavor than the big mature ones. And try a little extra water to the plant. See if that makes a difference too.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 7:56AM
ali-b

Yes to the hot and dry. We only just got rain this weekend after at least 2 weeks of hot and more hot! I don't normally water my perennial herbs unless they are looking limp. Thanks for the input Fatamorgana. I'll dry some as I'm curious now to see what it would be like.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 9:02PM
oliveoyl3

Don't be afraid of using it as it will make the best sauces now just don't use as much & check the taste. It is milder early in the season & with frequent rain.

I think mine gets stronger when dried, so not sure what you'll discover.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™