Are all marigolds edible?

ourfamilygarden(6)July 31, 2006

Okay, I have 2 questions about marigolds:

1. Are all marigolds edible?

2. Is there a site that shows the different varieties, so I can tell which I have?

Now, I've reviewed many sites, and I'm as confused as when I started! LOL.

There were sites that said that pot marigolds and calendula were edible. Then, another site said, "The edible varieties are not related to the plant called pot marigold or calendula."

There were sites that said all marigolds were edible, but only some were good for cullinary usage. Those sited as good were: tagetes signata/pumila/tenufolia.

Alas, I read about the history of marigolds, and found that there are three central varieties: French, African and triploid marigolds.

Help, please? :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gborosteve

I think this link will be helpful and is worth booking:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 10:24PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

The short answer is that NOT all marigolds are edible. I don't know all the species, but as a very broad rule of thumb, opt for Calendula officinalis as the one considered the edible and medicinal ('official') marigold. It's also called Holigold, Pot Marigold, Bride of the Sun, Summer's Bride, Sun's Gold, Ruddes, Ruddles, Marygold, Marybud.

The French Marigold, Tagetes patula, is not edible. It is used in companion planting for insect and nematode control.

Of the Gem Marigolds, only Tagetes tenuifolia is edible, although some claim that T. signata and T. pumila are also edible. Since there seems to be some disagreement about this, I'd suggest caution. I've seen quite a few reference where T. signata is 'harmful if eaten in large quantities'. I've seen one or two references to the African Marigold (T. erecta) being edible.

Mexican Marigold Mint, also known by many other names including Winter Tarragon, Root Beer plant, Yerba anis or Cloud Plant (Tagetes lucida)is edible.

Some people claim that all marigolds are edible, but that some of them taste VILE! I daresay you should be guided by your nose and taste-buds with marigolds. If it smells and tastes like an insect repellent, then that is probably the best use for it!

Me - I stick with reliable Calendula and no other except for Tagetes lucida which I use as a substitute for French Tarragon. And I don't believe everything I read on the internet or in books. I prefer to play safe. When in doubt - don't.

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 5:53AM
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

I disagree--French Marigold (tagetes patula) flower petals are edible. The ones I use on salads are the type that have blooms with 5 wide petals, not the ones that are more half ball shaped with numerous petals. I have only used the petals, not anything else.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 3:30AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Maybe so but I can't imagine they are very pleasant! They are so very strong in that "marigold-ness." So much so that they are companion plants for nematode control as Daisy mentions. My mom used them as companion plants to discourage plant chewers like woodchucks from the vegetable garden.

I'd rather stick calendula. It is far more pleasant!

FataMorgana

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 6:49AM
Vladivosta

I understand that this question is 8 years old, but since I still found it on the first page of Google search, I assume people still reading it. Contrary to the second response, Tagetis patula IS edible. To get MUCH more info, go to http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-94-007-7395-0/page/2#page-1 (list of entries from volume 7 of "Edible Medicinal And Non-Medicinal Plants" by T.K. Lim), pages 456-468. You'd have to buy one Chapter for ã19.95 or the whole book for ã144.00, but luckily they'll let you read the first two pages of every single chapter for free!!! They have chapters on Tagetis erecta, T. lucida, T. patula, and T. tenuifolia. I am seriously tempted to buy this book, honestly: it's full of all kind of information (Scientific name, Synonyms, Family, Common/English Names, Vernacular Names, Origin/Distribution, Agroecology, Edible Plant Parts and Uses, Botany, Nutritive/Medicinal Properties, Photos, and apparently 10 more pages of other info!

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 9:23PM
Vladivosta

I understand that this question is 8 years old, but since I still found it on the first page of Google search, I assume people still reading it. Contrary to the second response, Tagetis patula IS edible. To get MUCH more info, go to http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-94-007-7395-0/page/2#page-1 (list of entries from volume 7 of "Edible Medicinal And Non-Medicinal Plants" by T.K. Lim), pages 456-468. You'd have to buy one Chapter for ã19.95 or the whole book for ã144.00, but luckily they'll let you read the first two pages of every single chapter for free!!! They have chapters on Tagetis erecta, T. lucida, T. patula, and T. tenuifolia. I am seriously tempted to buy this book, honestly: it's full of all kind of information (Scientific name, Synonyms, Family, Common/English Names, Vernacular Names, Origin/Distribution, Agroecology, Edible Plant Parts and Uses, Botany, Nutritive/Medicinal Properties, Photos, and apparently 10 more pages of other info!

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Different varieties of papalo?
I have papalo seed from 4 different vendors for a while...
KudosFromUdo
How should I dry my parsley leaves?
I have three large bunches of Parsley. How should I...
zzackey
Sage Recommendations?
hey everyone Just wondering if you can recommend the...
2bcleansed
Can you please name this herb (Qatar)
It smells more like Mint, but it looks like a Basil, I...
maufie123
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
Sponsored Products
Knicker Barstool by Blu Dot
$299.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Amherst Beige/Orange 8 ft. x 10
Home Depot
Armen Living Mindy Chair - US4521BR
$790.00 | Hayneedle
Textured Lines Rug 6' x 9' - BLUE
$1,799.00 | Horchow
Gretchen Wing Chair - BROWN
$2,049.00 | Horchow
LAFCO House and Home Bath Soap
Grandin Road
Greywash Rattan Stacking Artic Outdoor Lounge Set with Black Cushions
Zuri Furniture
Design House 25W x 19D in. Aurora Cultured Marble Single Sink Vanity Top Multico
$264.49 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™