Saving Basil Seeds

johnweh(10 Boca Raton FL)July 6, 2010

In past years I would buy store bought basil plants. When they went to seed, they would drop their seed in the same pot

I grew them in & I'd get a volunteer come up in a few weeks. This season I'm trying to save the seeds & grow them in new containers, but none of them have germinated in the 3 weeks since I've planted them. The seed stalks were left on the plant until they turned brown. I then put them in a brown paper bag for 2 weeks before they were planted in 4" pots. The seeds came from Thai Basil & Red Rubin Basil. Any suggestions on getting these seeds to germinate?

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

Can't help you with those varieties but Sweet Basil do fine even when left out all winter and planted the following spring. Sweet Basil won't drop their seeds so there is not hurry in harvesting seeds and they seem to sprout better than purchased seeds.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 10:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laughster72

I've saved basil seeds many times. The only thing I can think of is that you didn't leave them on the plant long enough. Even when the heads appear dry, I usually just leave them there. Basil seeds will, in my experience, turn dark even when they're not full and plump. Yours may not have matured properly.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™