Growing elderberry?

thonotoroseJuly 12, 2014

If you are, I would appreciate any tips. I know it is understory and think it may be OK with wet feet on occasion.

Any success stories would be encouraging. Money is already spent...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echobelly

I planted a number of elderberry bushes across the front of my property a few years ago. One side of the yard is low and can have standing water for days after heavy rains. Last summer, after especially heavy rains and hot weather, I noticed the elderberry that were in standing water were wilting and dropping their leaves. The ones on higher ground were fine. I found out (probably on this forum) that elderberry can "tolerate" wet feet, but it depends on the temperature of the standing water. The warmer the water, the less oxygen it holds, therefore if the water is especially warm, the plant will suffocate. After the yard dried up, the plants came back.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:43AM
thonotorose

Thank you Echobelly. Very helpful.

Were they in sun or shade? Any special care that you needed to do.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:58PM
afishlady(8b)

I actually was just reading about someone growing them. Check out this site; he could probably really give you some great tips.

Here is a link that might be useful: elderberry in Florida

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:35PM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

I've been growing for a few years. Was told that they like it damp and that they can be sort of invasive. I planted them in a dryer area thinking that would "cure" the invasive problem. Maybe it has to an extent but it still suckers some. But more to your question about shade...mine gets some but I would not say it is an understory plant for me. But then again although it blooms it holds very few berries. So it that because it is in a dry spot or because it is in a sunnier spot? Mostly I think it is a weed...I love this weed...but it can take what you give it but it might not do its best.
Anyway you have given ME something to think about :-)

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
Callisia Repens is killing my lawn
Hi all, I bought a house a couple of years ago, with...
oldmangroot
mature mango tree help
This will be our 3rd season in this house with a mature...
halfwaythere
Lubbers!!!
I can't believe it, I've got lubbers hatching today....
katkin_gw
Can Silver Buttontwood be used as espalier in a Belgium Fence design
Dear Florida Experts, I just pulled out 60 feet of...
caribbeancupcake
Landscaping shady 2' square area at front entry
I live in zone 9 and need help landscaping a very shady...
Desirae Kristen
Sponsored Products
Delta 40 Self Watering Planter by Lechuza
$239.99 | Lumens
Sterling Vista Pivot II 1500D-26S 26.5W x 65.5H in. Pebbled Glass Shower Door Mu
$474.99 | Hayneedle
Sterling Finesse 5405-59-G03 59.625W x 58.3125H in. Frosted Glass Bath Door - 54
$776.99 | Hayneedle
Butterfly Daisy Blend Root - Set of Six
$11.99 | zulily
Earthwise Exotic Gardens - Table Lamp
Bellacor
Vondom | Moma High Planter
YLiving.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™