Edible aloes?

roselee z8b S.W. TexasJuly 25, 2014

Are there other aloes such as what is commonly called soap aloe (Aloe maculata, I think) that are edible? I have lots of it and use it for burns. It works very well for that, but I'm not sure if it is safe to take internally. I could find nothing on the internet concerning this question.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Aloe vera (A. barbadensis) is the source of herbal remedy aloe juice. It cannot be eaten out of hand and must be processed.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 8:35PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Rhizo, thank you! But -- uh oh, it's being touted for use in smoothies. They do recommended processing it somewhat in the recipe below by advising that you let the yellow sap drain out and freeze it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe vera smoothie recipe ...

This post was edited by roselee on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 23:30

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:59PM
liligoat(7b GA)

I've tried to get the gel from my aloe vera for smoothies. It sort of worked... The sap is a serious problem though. It's super bitter, absolutely horrible tasting. According to a Youtube video I watched, you can minimize the sap by using a very sharp knife and cutting the gel out (like filleting a fish), carefully avoiding extra nicks in the skin. You'll still want to rinse the gel off so it helps to have larger chunks. Personally, I didn't think it was worth the trouble.
Also, I'm not sure but I think the sap is supposed to be a laxative, and NOT the gentle, non-crampy kind. No first-person experience as the taste alone was pretty toxic.
Really hope someone here can give you a more positive look at it though!

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 12:09PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Liligoat I really appreciate you giving us your experience. I've never even tasted aloe vera except for the bottled juice, but I've decided trying to use it raw is not worth it either.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™