Questions on preserving nectarines

sqftgarden_in_wncJuly 10, 2008

I am very new to preserving and canning. I have no idea what to do with about 4-5 lbs of fresh nectarines that I got at our tailgate market. Can any of the following be done with them and how:

freezing

preserves

jam or jelly

canning

some sort of relish or butter

Any help is greatly appreciated. I was hoping to do something with them by today. I don't want them to go bad or get over ripe.

Thanks,

Tonya

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Try this link for all of the options you listed!!

You can also search the Harvest Forum for recipes and discussions previously posted.

Good luck.......and lucky you!!

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: National Center for Home Food Preservation

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 1:01PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

For nectarines, apricots, apples and peaches. ANY canning or freezing requires the use of ASCORBIC ACID to keep them from turning an unpleasant brown color. Without it in the juice liquid, jelly, or syrup, you get quick oxidation. Nectarines go well with pluots, peaches, and plums. A nice preserve can also be made with them alone or mixed. Remove the skins by a dip in boiling water and a quick cool down. They are not as good if skins and stones are left on. Freezing prepped slices is OK too, but you still need the ascorbic acid (NOT CITRIC!) dip in a strong solution, to keep the color fresh looking.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 7:13PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

A nectarine is just a fuzzless peach, so any peach recipe you like will work for nectarines.

Carol

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 8:59PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Actually, I always thought its a cross of a peach and an apple somewhere out there, but now know thats wrong. I always though it was closer to a peach and plum, but there again, plumcots, and pluots are those areas. I tried growing nectarines and once the tree had fruits, they all got spotted and dropped off. Dug it up 3 years later, after wasting far too much money on sprays. The two, or even plum, pluot, plumcots, and apricots all together make for a spectacular tatse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nectarine tree info..

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 9:34PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Yes, Nectarines are essentially a "sport" or mutation.

However, I think it's interesting that the flavor and texture of ripe nectarines are slightly different from that of peaches, so it isn't just the fuzz factor that's altered.

Carol

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 10:29PM
robin_d(8b Tacoma WA)

I can personally vouch for strawberry/nectarine jam - it was a delicious combination. :-)

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™