MINT! More and More!

heatherk(z7 Roanoke Rapids, NC)July 25, 2010

I have a beautiful potted mint plant that has started sending runners out and I've put pots next to the original mint plant to 'catch' the runners so they can start to take root.

My question is: how do I propagate these runners into new plants?

My second question is the original plant is HUGE! Any suggestions as to additional uses, drying, or preservation of the mint plant?

My third question is how do I winter this plant? We are in Zone 7 and have fairly mild winters, we may get frost or snow. I can bring it inside if need be.

All suggestions are welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Do you know what kind of "mint" it is? There are many plants some of them very different from each other than can have the moniker "mint."

FataMorgana

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 9:29AM
heatherk(z7 Roanoke Rapids, NC)

It is Lime Mint

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 9:52AM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

new use - 2-3 cupsfresh mint leaves, 1 fresh cut up pineapple, 1-2 cups ice.....in a high speed blender to smoothie/slushy state.

Propagation, I'd pop off a stem stick it in soil and water well - chances are - it'll take.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 10:58AM
lavender_lass(4b)

T-bird, 2-3 cups of mint in one smoothie? I just wanted to check that measurement before I tried it :)

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 12:34PM
mandolls(4)

Mint is very easy to propogate from cuttings. My BF would prefer that the whole yard be mint, so every time we harvest, we cut a stems near to the ground, leaving several healthy leaves at the base (so it will continue to grow)

The cutting get stripped of leaves except for the top two, and the stems are then cut back to 4-5 " and immediately stuck in a glass of water. Usually the next day I dust the end of the stems with rooting hormone, and pop them in an empty four pack with regular potting soil - in about a week they are ready to go back into the mint bed. We went from 8 plants to 40 this year! (so far)

Oh - and they are easily winter hardy in zone 7 - I am in zone 4 and the couple of plants I had last year wintered over outside just fine. In the ground, not in pots.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
When can you plant Cilantro seeds in your Garden?
I'm in Zone 5, I know Cilantro can tolerate some cool...
jd101
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™