Which is catnip and which one is a weed?

sandpapertongue(7a VA)July 12, 2007

This is my first time growing catnip, and from the same pot and same packet of seeds I have two different looking plants growing. I've tried looking online but both look like catnip to me. Can I have two different looking types of catnip growing, or have I been nurturing a weed?

BTW, both cats were unimpressed by both types of leaves. I'm hoping they'll like the dried version, since that's what they usually go crazy for.

Catnip 1:

Catnip 2:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
granite(z6 NC)

can't help you...no pictures show up!

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 12:21AM
sandpapertongue(7a VA)

Catnip Suspect 1:

Catnip Suspect 2:

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 7:39AM
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

Suspect #1 is the catnip. Suspect #2 looks like lamb's quaters, a fairly common weed in the Midwest, but it could be something else I'm not familiar with.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 7:51AM
mellikat

Picture 1 is catnip. Try to rip a piece of the leaf and see what the cat does. Ripping and bruising the leaf brings out the smell more.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 8:33AM
sandpapertongue(7a VA)

Thank you! Off to rip out the weeds now. I can't believe I've been nurturing that all this time.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 8:54AM
CA Kate

I agree with those above. But, if your cats are still unimpressed with the leaves it is likely that you've been sold some other form of Nepeta.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 12:33PM
josie23(5)

#2 is Lambs Quarters as stated above. BUT....Lambs Quarters is edible. Throw it in your salad. It is a relative of spinach. I eat it in early spring before my lettuce/spinach is producing, then again in summer when the lettuce/spinach has bolted.

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 10:47AM
cougar67

I have 2 cats. The oldest one goes crazy over catnip (especially when it's fresh and on my clothes), and the youngest doesn't care for it (fresh or dried). But if your cat doesn't care for the homemade cantnip toys, try selling them (especially since you have a free stash).

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 9:38PM
fatamorgana2121

Not all cats react to catnip. I'm sure you can google around and find the exact percentage information on cats that are affected/not affected. In my experience, dried and fresh seem to sometimes have different reactions in cats as well.

Number 1 is definitely catnip. Did anyone else have a catnip explosion this year? Catnip grows wildly around my place and it was very vigorous and plentiful this year.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 9:04AM
Auntie_Clara(z5 NE)

I have the plant in photo #1 growing wild in parts of my garden. I weed it often, and my cats adore me when I come inside. I bring them a bit from time to time, but it makes them drool and act pretty squirrely. I do have some nepata (cat mint)that I bought at a nursery. It is beautiful and does well in dry sunny areas. My cats ignore it. They like the "wild" stuff.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 9:48PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

My neighbors cats LOVE my "other" Nepeta mussinii (canmint) just about as much as N. cataria (catnip).
But I agree, eat that Lambsquarter. In fact the nutritional content is even greater than spinach :D

Vera

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 11:13AM
herb_alpert(5)

I just planted catnip this year in a raised area so i wont mind if it goes crazy in there...also its in the front yard in case the cats want to pay a visit.

will Lemon catnip spread as wildly as the original nepeta.

Lambsquarter is good...tried planted some...i hope there is still enough time for it to seed

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™