canning tomato question

matthew18(5)July 30, 2011

Can you can big boys tomatoes? Do they make a decent sauce?

I have heard romas are the preferred type for paste. Should I mix big boys with romas? Ive never canned tomatoes. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sure you can. You may 'can' any variety of tomato. In fact many of us prefer sauce made from a mix of tomato-types. Most roma varieties are not noted for their flavor so adding other varieties to them is a common way of improving the flavor of the sauce.

Dave

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 9:52AM
goobergrl6

Different varieties have different amount of water content/pulpiness (Yeah I made up a word). Roma's are a nice meaty tomato so it has less water in it to cook out. You can use whatever you want you just might have to cook it down longer.

Lisa

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 1:24PM
cozy

Just wondering ... How aggressive are you folks in "cooking it down"?

It is always an all day event for us. I ran 7-8 5 gallon buckets through the Villa/Weston early yesterday morning, started cooking around 8:30 AM and finished with part around 9 last night ... the rest around 4 PM today.

This is a 16 qt pot ( we start with this, start more in another pot and combine as they cook down ... start more). Does the steam/evaporation seem "fast" enough?

Maybe it is just qty? Yesterday ended up with 7 quarts and 7 pints.

Today finished up with 13 pints.

This was maybe 60% Brandy Boy and the rest Jet Star ... no paste maters so part of it I reckon ( but really love Brandywine/Brandy Boy sauce).

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 6:36PM
planatus(6)

After I've run my tomatoes through the food mill, I let the sauce sit overnight. The next day, lots of clear juice can be taken off the top, leaving behind a much thicker sauce. I usually cook it for less than an hour before canning. The juice I combine with onions, garlic, celery to make vegetable stock (goes in the freezer since the pH is unsuitable for waterbath).

Here is a link that might be useful: interrupted tomato sauce

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 1:15PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

Thanks for the link planatus! It is always "Pleasant" to read Barbara's articles!

matthew18, I can all different variety's, mixed together.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 2:00PM
caboodle(9A)

Your sauce looks fabulous! When I make sauce, I use a steam juicer to get the water out and then run it through a Victorio strainer. Then I don't have to cook it down at all.

Judi

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™