How Big is a 'Sprig'?

helenoreAugust 4, 2006

Is that the dumbest question you've read lately? Well, I don't know the answer, and I'm sure it's probably different for every herb.

This minute I am concerned with rosemary. How long is a "sprig" of rosemary.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Say about 12-15cm long. That's about 4-6 inches in your language. Or if you haven't got a tape measure - say about the length of your hand from base to finger tip - you choose which finger! But there's no hard and fast rule about it. You can make it twice as long or half as long if you want!

That's rosemary. You're unlikely to get too many thyme sprigs as long as that. More likely about half the length. It varies according to the age of your plant. Of course, you're likely to use more thyme in any recipe than you would rosemary, so for thyme - use 2 sprigs!!

A sprig of parsley now - that's different. You just cut off the leafy bits at the end of the stalk. Some have lots of leaves, some have just a few. It's a common-sense thing with parsley.

The thing to remember is that precise measurement of herbs isn't required. Add a little, taste, add more if required. If you find you've added to much of the herb, the only way around it to increase the quantities of everything else!!

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 5:17AM
Amino_X(z7b AR)

Here in the south, a "Sprig" is just another word for a cutting.

It's like saying a "Pinch of salt" or "Dash of Vanilla". It's just an inexact amount.

Best Wishes
Amino-X

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 8:36PM
Heathen1(10a)

or the same as saying 'too taste'. I like those kind of recipes... course they're just guidelines. :o)

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 8:43PM
indylars(Indianapolis 5)

For Rosemary I would say anything that is not yet woody could be cut and called a "Sprig".

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™