cilantro tip

chad_la(z7 TX)August 5, 2007

of course i assume this would work great with a whole host of other herbs. i dont like to freeze zipper bags full of green leaves so what i do is take my cilantro and freeze it in cubes. fill your blender full of cilantro leaves and minor stems and just a touch of water. blend it on high till it makes a thick slurry. you may have to scrape down the sides a time or two and freeze this in ice cube trays. once frozen then put in a bowl or zip top baggie and back in the freezer. use as needed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wv2ga

Sounds like a great idea, and it also sounds as if you are quite good at growing cilantro.

If you don't mind, I have a question about growing cilantro.

This is my second year growing it in my garden. Last year, after pruning the flowering stems off; it just dried and died.

This year I tried to prune it with more of a straight clean cut, and it seems to fair better but it is still not great. My basil, greek oregano, and flat parsely are all doing quite well, just not the cilantro.

Any tips you wouldn't mind sharing for gardener new to cilantro?

Thank you,

Jim

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 7:17PM
digit(ID/WA)

Jim, until Chad gets back to you to give you the right info, let me tell you about my experience growing cilantro. I garden in the interior West, hot and dry with a fairly short growing season.

I have planted it at absolutely every time of the year . . . the results have been frustrating. Planting in the early Spring usually works okay but the best for me has been to get some seed into the ground about now and wherever a plant is still growing next Spring, leave it alone until it is harvestable. Cilantro is an annual but it often is able to survive a Winter here, even with sub-zero temps. Those survivors will be, by far, larger and healthier compared to any cilantro at any other time of the year.

I can just remove the plant and use or freeze the leaves. Cutting off the flowers has always worked just as you described - "it just dried and died."

You'd think that cilantro would be just a little more cooperative in our gardens since it seems to be available fresh year-around in the supermarkets. Ah, well . . .

Steve

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 9:01PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Cilantro is grown in greenhouses, under controlled environments. Here, I can get maybe 2-3 runs of it during the summer, provided its in shade and it doesn't got too hot. Many times, I will plant a small amount every 3-4 weeks, whch seems to give me a continous supply until it gets too cold to grow. The stuff you see in stores is usually grown without soil, so its nice and clean and free of bugs, dirt and other stuff.

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 9:28PM
digit(ID/WA)

Hah! Hydroponically and greenhouse grown!

Hadn't even occurred to me, KSRogers.

Thanks,
Steve

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 11:11AM
stacy_w

Hello,

I am growing cilantro/coriander for the first time. I have had a lot of leaves and been able to harvest them. The plant has now gone to seed, and I want to harvest them too, both for cooking and propagation. I know how to harvest them. I just don't know when the seeds are ripe. Any advice?

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 1:41PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

They turn a tan color and thats when they literally fall off the plant. Picking when they are green will also work, but the flavor is a bit less.

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 9:48PM
stacy_w

Thanks. I picked the first batch early, but I will wait for the other, and compare the flavour. I appreciate you responding.

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 8:59PM
CA Kate

Tie the toe-part of a nylon stocking or a very small paper bag over the seed head... this will probably need staking. The seeds will fall into the "bag" when fully ripe.

PS don't use a plastic bag... which will cause mold.

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 12:24PM
gardenmom2(IN Zone 6)

My cilantro dropped all the seed last year ( I was not paying attention). It s now self sown ALL over my garden. And I do mean all over. :)

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 6:29AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Yummy! Let it come up some and harvest away anything that is badly located. "Volunteer" plants can be quite a bonus!

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 8:35PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Cilantro is a COOL crop. Therefore , it wont do well in the middle of hot summer. They will bolt and go for seed.

But you can plant some more. I plant them twice a year, once in early spring once in late summer. The ones planted late summer wont bolt and wiil last until sever frost.
I buy the seeds from mexican herbs secton, by a big bag ( about 4 oz or so) I use them for cooking and planting. This way it is much cheaper than buying them as seed package. So I do not bother go grow my own seeds.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 10:33PM
catman529(6b)

I have grown other plants in the parsley family, including carrots, dill, and parsley. This year I want to try cilantro for the first time, and I hope it goes well.

Last year, I saved my fresh parsley leaves by chopping them with a knife and freezing them in water just like you do with the blender method. In fact, I might still have some leftover.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 12:20PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

As mentioned, cilantro likes to grow in bunches, and NOT hot temps or lots of sun. Once the flat leaves are fully formed they will start to bolt and produce tiny flower sprays, then seeds. These sprays look a little like dill seed heads. Most of the time its easier to plant several cilanro seeds in small pots and grown indoors with some daylight exposure. They reach about 4-6 inches tall and thats the best time to harvest. Takes about a month to 6 weeks for that height.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
HELP!!! My mint plant is growing SMALLER!!!
Just over a week ago, I purchased a potted mint plant...
James Lim
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™